Possible to share video between my Macbook and a Media Center in this way?
Jul 29, 2013 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

smokecrack

Head-Fier
Hi All,

Hope this question has not been answered. I searched and found nothing.

I just purchased a new TV and want to keep my setup as simple as possible. Is it possible to get a media player (like an XBMC player) that reads my Macbook's shared folders and plays media from there? Both will be on the same network, both connected wirelessly.

So,
  • If this is possible.. What do I need to do on my Macbook? Enable file sharing over SMB? do media player's support this?
  • What is a good media player you would recommend off Amazon to get this done?

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 3
You can use an Apple TV.  It can look at your (shared) iTunes library including videos.

Import your videos into iTunes first.  Convert to the appropriate video format with Handbrake, if necessary, before hand.  Then turn on Home Sharing, and your Apple TV should find your entire iTunes library, including your videos.  It's about as simple and seamless as it gets.

Your only possible glitch would be if your videos are not in a file format compatible with iTunes, but you can fix that with Handbrake.

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
You can use an Apple TV.  It can look at your (shared) iTunes library including videos.

Import your videos into iTunes first.  Convert to the appropriate video format with Handbrake, if necessary, before hand.  Then turn on Home Sharing, and your Apple TV should find your entire iTunes library, including your videos.  It's about as simple and seamless as it gets.

Your only possible glitch would be if your videos are not in a file format compatible with iTunes, but you can fix that with Handbrake.

Jaddie, thanks for your reply. I guess I should have specified further.

I have lots of files that are not in the proper format. I also avoid iTunes like the plague, heh. I play some really weird formats and lots of foreign stuff, so I want robust subtitles support. I'm considering this player:

http://www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight-MX2-Android-Streaming/dp/B00CH643A8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375172864&sr=1-1&keywords=xbmc+media+player

However, I'm still not sure if it can do what I'm trying to accomplish -- basically connect this device to the same network as my Macbook and pull files off of a shared folder. No external drives, no other devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back