Possible to replace pads on sennheiser hd555-595?
May 28, 2009 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

spinneresque

100+ Head-Fier
One of mine is ripped, and maybe I'm missing something obvious but can anyone point me in a direction of how to replace these? Has anyone done it? I know they have recable-ing directions right on the sennheiser website. I searched here but my search was fruitless.

May 29, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 14
I would ilke to know as well...

May 29, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #4 of 14
Removing them, no problem. That comes with the recable-ing instructions. But there must be replacements out there somewhere. Anyone has replaced their Senn pads?

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinneresque /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Removing them, no problem. That comes with the recable-ing instructions. But there must be replacements out there somewhere. Anyone has replaced their Senn pads?

This thing with the sennheiser earpads is really strange.They don't provide hd 555/595 earpads?

Anyway,i had a weird problem when i changed my hd 600 pads(see"a question to all hd 600 owners" thread).Sennheiser changed the thickness of the 580/600/650 earpads the last few years(they made them a little thinner/smaller)
and i find trouble in finding a pair of the old thicker ones.
frown.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 14
Yes cannot seem to find pads sold for HD 595 anywhere ... surely for a headphone that isn't exactly cheap, and pads are bound to deteriorate and break, one would think they would sell replacement pads ...

It is quite annoying as the headphone itself is in good condition but I've had it for over 5 years so obviously the pads are starting to break and disintegrate. The fabric covering the foam has broken open exposing the yellow foam inside, so it is now just a matter of time before the foam starts disintegrating in a bad way.

This really sucks as I'm not sure I have the cash to replace my HD 595 with something equally nice ...

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 14
I'm going to head down to a few headphone stores to see whether they stock anything or have any solutions. Maybe they have some local hack to fix it ...

Calling them is also an option - though don't expect any results as they are only dealers over here and am pretty sure they service professional stuff more than consumers.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 14
Call Sennheiser. Pretty much every thread ever on updating part of the HD580/600, for example, indicates that they no longer list the part on the website but Sennheiser can send you the part in question if you call.

I really doubt they'd shortchange the HD595s.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 14
OK. Will do, thanks for the advice
smily_headphones1.gif

=======

I decided to try to fix the pad myself. Since the main problem was the velour fabric had busted open to reveal the foam inside, I pulled out the ear cushion as per the Sennheiser guide downloaded from the website. I then proceeded to sewing back the velour fabric thus once again concealing the yellow foam, and then re-inserting (snapping) the ear cushion back onto the headphones.

Pic 1 : Velour fabric busted open to reveal yellow foam

595Before.jpg

Pic 2 : Velour fabric sewn back together

595After.jpg

The sewing is of course sub-par but serviceable. Now wondering how long this hack job will lasts ... hopefully for a long time
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. please excuse the grainy photos - taken with iPhone with insufficient lighting.

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinneresque /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are recabling instructions for 555s? Is there a PDF manual for that?

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #13 of 14
Yes, you can buy new pads for the 555 and 595 series through sennheiser. I just ordered mine 2 weeks ago, I think I paid 12 bucks for a pair (could be wrong). The part numbers are not listed on their site, so you have to call.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by koop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you can buy new pads for the 555 and 595 series through sennheiser. I just ordered mine 2 weeks ago, I think I paid 12 bucks for a pair (could be wrong). The part numbers are not listed on their site, so you have to call.

Thanks. That's nice to know - it is just a matter of time before the pads break for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back