Possible ground loop issue?
Sep 2, 2014 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BMBROWN911

100+ Head-Fier
Recently my address has changed and since hooking up all my gear I've noticed something strange which I've never encountered before. My mjolnir is producing a horribly obnoxious buzzing sound that is very loud. I also have a lyr and can plug into the exact same outlet and not experience any noise at all. I tried different outlets in the house and found one outlet on the other side of the house that didn't seem to produce any buzzing. Using this outlet is not possible so was wondering if this is what a ground loop issue is or not. If it is why would my lyr stay silent but not the mjolnir? I don't know if it makes a difference but the amp produces this buzz whether there is anything connected to the inputs or not. Anyone want to chime in here. Thanks!

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 11
  Recently my address has changed and since hooking up all my gear I've noticed something strange which I've never encountered before. My mjolnir is producing a horribly obnoxious buzzing sound that is very loud. I also have a lyr and can plug into the exact same outlet and not experience any noise at all. I tried different outlets in the house and found one outlet on the other side of the house that didn't seem to produce any buzzing. Using this outlet is not possible so was wondering if this is what a ground loop issue is or not. If it is why would my lyr stay silent but not the mjolnir? I don't know if it makes a difference but the amp produces this buzz whether there is anything connected to the inputs or not. Anyone want to chime in here. Thanks!

For starters, what happens if you test your outlet with a outlet tester? Does everything check out?

Cheers

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 11
I would just send an email to Schiit. Could be your power supply on the Mjolnir was damaged somehow.

Sep 5, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 11
Very likely, the electrolytic capacitor of the power supply has gone bad. This has happened to my electronic piano once. Open up the case and check the cpacitor. You might see a leaky capacitor.

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Hum is a PITA. I have two tube amps. One developed a hum after a thunderstorm so I thought the lightning caused it. So I placed it in storage and bought another tube amp. After some time it started having hum too. So I just tolerated it. Then one day the hum just disappeared. I didn't do anything. So I pulled my other tube amp out of storage and hooked it up. Lo and behold!!! No more hum as well.

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 11
The sound I'm hearing is a very loud buzzing. Not a hum. If it wasn't very loud I would tolerate it but it's so loud that it hurts my ears to listen for much more then a minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back