possible eBay scam?
Jun 21, 2006 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PodMan

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I need opinions on what I should do. I just sold an ipod on ebay. the buyer is someone with 0 feedback whom first registered on ebay in 1998. However, he just recently changed his screenname on 6-20-2006, the date my auction ended.

I looked at his mailing address (listed in the invoice) and it was registered to someone living in Arkansas.

I got an email from this buyer "Paul Smith" (completely different name than the one on the invoice) who is emailing from the UK and wants me to send the ipod to his son in Nigeria. He said he would be paying by paypal.

Does this sound like a scam? I am thinking the original user's account somehow got hacked. This supposed buyer already won my auction, should I just relist the item? I specifically said U.S. shipping only in the original auction.

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 6
Run away from this transaction. There are about 20 red flags here that indicate a scam of biblical proportions.

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 6
Stick to your 'only US' only rule in this case. Far too many discrepancies/alarm bells ringing to worry about even if legitimate.

Better safe than sorry.

Jun 21, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 6
Run for your life! Bummer is he can screww your good feedback with a negative. If someone has 0 feedback I make them email me to make sure they are legit or I cancel it right away. That way he can't screw with my perfect feedback. Some great people out there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back