Possible Ear infection?
Apr 14, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K_19-
Thanks for your words. I hope you get well in all quickness too.

Just got to work from the doctor, and it's definitely an outer, possibly middle, ear infection. So I'm on ear drops and antibiotics for 10 days, and get this.... no listening at all. Not even the comfy Denons! CRAP! Work will be sooooo boring now.

This is all making me a little bit paranoid of using IEM's for so many hours on end during the work week. The doctor said that having something in your ear like that which closes off the canal to air movement and causes it to get warmer and more humid, just makes infections all the more possible. I think I'm going to get a pair of the Denon D2000's for work possibly.

OMG! You big baby!
atsmile.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

K_19-
Thanks for your words. I hope you get well in all quickness too.

Just got to work from the doctor, and it's definitely an outer, possibly middle, ear infection. So I'm on ear drops and antibiotics for 10 days, and get this.... no listening at all. Not even the comfy Denons! CRAP! Work will be sooooo boring now.

This is all making me a little bit paranoid of using IEM's for so many hours on end during the work week. The doctor said that having something in your ear like that which closes off the canal to air movement and causes it to get warmer and more humid, just makes infections all the more possible. I think I'm going to get a pair of the Denon D2000's for work possibly.

That absolutely bites. No music for even 10 days would be a torture for me
frown.gif
But I guess you can still listen through speakers at home, etc.

I'm starting to become wary of excess use of IEM's as well. Of course, I believe in moderate use they are very safe but thinking about it logically, having it in your ear for so much of the day cannot be good for your inner ear. Because of this reason I'm gaining more interest in fullsize cans now (got a K701 coming in this week sometime). Of course, I'll continue to use IEM's when I need isolation outside and be more attentive in IEM hygiene (replacing/cleaning stock tips, cleaning my custom tips more often, etc.), but at home I'll probably start using fullsize cans more.

Apr 14, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG! You big baby!
atsmile.gif

Hey now! You know how guys get all whiny when they're not feeling well!!
icon10.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Hey now! You know how guys get all whiny when they're not feeling well!!
icon10.gif

[size=medium]I sure do!![/size] I went through 2 ear infections within a few weeks of each other, and then a third one a few weeks after that. My ears were permanently full of drops. And that horrible 'whoosh' when it dropped in made me feel sick
frown.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #21 of 30
Well you're hope for me that it'll fully heal!
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #22 of 30
I have just been through a ear infection of middle ear. It lasted around 2 months or so, it is very depression with minimum music enjoyment. two dose(1 week each) of antibotics fixed it, but that medical make you feel tired all the time.
The symptoms was noticed by music listening. But eventually the symptoms gets more and worst, untill it treated with medicine.

Could you list of the symptoms you have atm.

there has been thread about this in the forums. If you're lucky, it could be wax buildup, if not, could be inflection.

I had:
imbalance hearing (louder in inflected ear)
cloudy, muffled inflected ear
pressure buildup - needs to pop once a while
cracking noise

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #23 of 30
Apr 14, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ottoyu34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just been through a ear infection of middle ear. It lasted around 2 months or so, it is very depression with minimum music enjoyment. two dose(1 week each) of antibotics fixed it, but that medical make you feel tired all the time.
The symptoms was noticed by music listening. But eventually the symptoms gets more and worst, untill it treated with medicine.

Could you list of the symptoms you have atm.

there has been thread about this in the forums. If you're lucky, it could be wax buildup, if not, could be inflection.

I had:
imbalance hearing (louder in inflected ear)
cloudy, muffled inflected ear
pressure buildup - needs to pop once a while
cracking noise

My symptoms are: 1) pain in the left (infected) ear 2) pressure 3) clogged feeling 4) reduced hearing (because of said clogging)

I just started the antibiotics today. I sure hope it doesn't take 2 months to clear up! That would truly be depressing.

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

My symptoms are: 1) pain in the left (infected) ear 2) pressure 3) clogged feeling 4) reduced hearing (because of said clogging)

I just started the antibiotics today. I sure hope it doesn't take 2 months to clear up! That would truly be depressing.

What did your doctor comment about the ear drum?
sounds like a middle ear inflection to me

What happens when listen to headphones? imbalance?

I find antibiotics ( in form of pills) are more effectively in my case.

p.s. Im not a doctor or anything. But I would be glad to suggest anyone with my past experience.

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #27 of 30
i had the exact same symptoms about a month back, the doctor diagnosed it as otitis media. the ear took 2 weeks to recover, but i couldn't listen to music or put anything in my ear for the fear of inflammation again until about 2 weeks after that. that makes it about a month.

if you keep your ear as clean as possible and take the antibiotics and eardrops everyday it should heal faster. just remember not to put anything including your finger into the ear, as there might be germs which could start up the infection again.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #28 of 30
Well, went to my doc yesterday and... the diagnosis was inconclusive. Upon checking upon my ears, he saw no evidence of any infection at all, but he did notice one abnormality; near total lack of earwax, canals being almost too clean (and I haven't cleaned it out in weeks). This would make my canals prone to infection and such, so he did discourage the use of IEM's until he gets me an appointment with an ENT doc. As for the dizziness, he said it's possible that it is due to dislodging of the ear crystals or another reason altogether. Basically, he referred me to the ENT and now I gotta wait for that.
frown.gif

Till then I won't use my IEM's as precaution but still listen to fullsize ones, as I don't see how any harm can be done through those for now.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by homers54321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you keep your ears so clean?
tongue.gif

I've always naturally had low amounts of earwax (and even when I did, it was the dry kind, not the wet one... could be an Asian thing?), and lately, I haven't really had any at all, which for IEM purposes may be a good thing, but for healthy reasons not a at all. I clean it regularly but not like everyday or anything, pretty standard like every few weeks, or month or so. Pretty concerned it about it actually, as it can probably put me at risk of further infections, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back