Possible damage to M35 drivers
Jan 8, 2012 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

abhisis

New Head-Fier
I bought Audio Technica M35 2 days ago and today I accidentally played an unusually loud sound when laptop's audio was at 100%. That sound consisted of frequencies > 8khz. I have not observed any adverse affects after that but could have that damaged the speakers(to a small extent though)..... how drivers damaged by high frequencies sound like? how to confirm this? Also can driving these headphones at 100% laptop output can cause damage to them?

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 5

No and no. Firstly, a plain laptop audio card usually doesnt have anywhere near close enough juice to damage a driver. Unless you have some hi-end sound card that your not telling us about, you dont have to worry about volume damage with that.

Also, those headphones were made to go to past 20 KHz (most decent headphones are), so 8KHz wont even phase them. It's just a fact, you cant damage them from a frequency that is INSIDE their range.
Quote:
I bought Audio Technica M35 2 days ago and today I accidentally played an unusually loud sound when laptop's audio was at 100%. That sound consisted of frequencies > 8khz. I have not observed any adverse affects after that but could have that damaged the speakers(to a small extent though)..... how drivers damaged by high frequencies sound like? how to confirm this? Also can driving these headphones at 100% laptop output can cause damage to them?

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 5
sounds relieving, any test to confirm this? Well I am playing LP FLACs since then to observe any crackling sounds and looks likes any absurd sound that comes, is the noise from the song, not from the headphones.. but still need a confirm test for this.. 
dt880smile.png

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
sounds relieving, any test to confirm this? Well I am playing LP FLACs since then to observe any crackling sounds and looks likes any absurd sound that comes, is the noise from the song, not from the headphones.. but still need a confirm test for this.. 
dt880smile.png

You cant really exactly have a test to confirm if you've damaged your headphones unless you wanna send me your pair :wink:

But really, think of this rationally. you're playing a frequency INSIDE your drivers range. How could that possibly hurt it?
Second, you're using max on a normal computer sound card.... Those really cant give enough juice to do any damage to drivers, espiecally if it was only briefly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back