Possible Computer 4.1 Setup? Klipsch Promedia Speakers (Front) Dayton B652 Speakers (Rear) + Yamaha Receiver
Oct 4, 2012 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GhostKage

New Head-Fier
So I'm trying to setup a good audio system for my computer, right now I'm looking at a 4.1 possibly 5.1 setup. Here is what is currently in my posession:

Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Speakers

Yamaha HTR-5830 Receiver

Yamaha 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers + Subwoofer

I would LOVE to use my Klipsch Pro Media Subwoofer with the receiver, but it doesn't seem like there is a way to plug it into the receiver. It has a power cable and then a 6 Pin DIN on the back. Is it possibly to plug a 6 Pin DIN into the back of my receiver? Perhaps a converter cable? I'm considering the Dayton B652's as my back speakers and possibly one for my center speaker if I can purchase just two. Any thoughts or opinions on this? I'm open to suggestions. I suppose I would like to keep it under $100 since I already have most of the equipment.

Thanks!

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 10
I don't think you can do it. I'm trying to remember. I got rid of my Promedia a couple of years ago. But doesn't it have a 3.5mm stereo mini plug that goes into the computer? So it's then taking that stereo signal and splitting it off to the speakers and sub, and that would be happening inside the sub unit. 

What's wrong with the sub with your Yamaha speakers? If you are looking for a good sub for around $100, check out the Dayton SUB-1200. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 10
You are correct. What I was thinking of doing was plugging the 3.5mm Jack into an adapter that went from 3.5mm-->Subwoofer Plug, I've seen them around the internet, I just don't know how responsive it would be. My Yamaha sub isn't bad, I just think the Klipsch one was higher quality and more responsive on music. I also don't know if Yamaha is the greatest, at least I never hear anyone recommending them.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
You are correct. What I was thinking of doing was plugging the 3.5mm Jack into an adapter that went from 3.5mm-->Subwoofer Plug, I've seen them around the internet, I just don't know how responsive it would be. My Yamaha sub isn't bad, I just think the Klipsch one was higher quality and more responsive on music. I also don't know if Yamaha is the greatest, at least I never hear anyone recommending them.

Now that I think about it, probably right. A male mono RCA plug to 3.5mm stereo female adapter--so it's essentially taking the subwoofer mono output from the receiver and splitting it to the l/r channels for the 3.5mm plug. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 10
Well on that note I suppose I'll be venturing to Radio Shack tomorrow morning. How do you feel about using the Dayton B652's as rear speakers? I've heard really good things about them, some people even saying that those + a dayton sub is better than my Klipsch 2.1 setup. If I got those, which would you use as back and front speakers? Thanks for your tips and suggestions!

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Well on that note I suppose I'll be venturing to Radio Shack tomorrow morning. How do you feel about using the Dayton B652's as rear speakers? I've heard really good things about them, some people even saying that those + a dayton sub is better than my Klipsch 2.1 setup. If I got those, which would you use as back and front speakers? Thanks for your tips and suggestions!

The Dayton speakers have a good reputation. However, I hang out over at AVS forum, too, and the Pioneer SP series seems to be the value budget king right now when Newegg has the various models on sale. I've heard them. Really good sound. Worth looking into also. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 10
Your center speaker should match your left/right speaker. So either the center speaker in the same speaker line, or the exact same speaker (doesn't have to be a horizontal center style) as the left/right. This is important for creating a timbre match in the front sound stage. A poor timbre match can result in dialogue intelligibility problems. Consequently, the best non-matching center can often be no center at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back