Possible alternative to the OPPO HA-2SE?
Jan 31, 2017 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sloowhand

New Head-Fier
Greetings everyone!

I'm currently in the process of putting together a portable setup for traveling. I've pretty much settled on the Meze 99 Classics for the headphones but I'm also looking for a portable DAC/amp as well. I'm leaning heavily toward the OPPO HA-2SE because it has a ton of features while still maintaining a super slim form factor. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the price. $300 gives me pause since I'm already dropping $310 on the headphones.

So my question to all of you is: Is there a cheaper alternative to the HA-2SE that maintains the same super slim form factor and at least comes close in performance and sound quality? I know there are a dozen Fiio models, but I'll be honest that I'm having trouble keeping them straight.

Whatever advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 7
Greetings everyone!

I'm currently in the process of putting together a portable setup for traveling. I've pretty much settled on the Meze 99 Classics for the headphones but I'm also looking for a portable DAC/amp as well. I'm leaning heavily toward the OPPO HA-2SE because it has a ton of features while still maintaining a super slim form factor. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the price. $300 gives me pause since I'm already dropping $310 on the headphones.

So my question to all of you is: Is there a cheaper alternative to the HA-2SE that maintains the same super slim form factor and at least comes close in performance and sound quality? I know there are a dozen Fiio models, but I'll be honest that I'm having trouble keeping them straight.

Whatever advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Unless you just want to get a dac/amp the Meze 99 Classics will play out of a phone just fine.

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Not by a lot. I think most headphones sound better amped but I don't think by a huge margin and for travel less stuff to pack around.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 7
I currently own an Oppo HA-2 (non SE).  I use it to drive Oppo PM-3s and Ultimate Ears IERMs.  Both efficient so I can't speak for less efficient cans.

It works well on my iPhone, however, I mostly listen to Tidal on my MacBook Pro.  I've changed to the Meridian Explorer2 and I like it a lot better using MQA.   I can't really speak to one sounding better than the other, but the support of MQA is something I really hear.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 7
Can vouch for DragonFly Red especially for <$300 price tag. It drives most headphones and has good compatibility with iOS/Android/PC/Mac. Most of the time its plug and play.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 7
Somehow when I read through the thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/755879/oppo-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-dac-discussion-thread, HA-2SE still have the problem with iPhone interference.

So it is better off to wait until the next release of go with something else at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back