Possible alternative choice to Audeze LCD 2
Aug 20, 2014 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

saxelrod92

100+ Head-Fier
So I own the LCD 2, have for a few months, very much like the sound, but more than often the weight/clamp/size just gets to me where regardless how good the sound is I can't get into it because I'm distracted by the comfort issues. The thing is I use headphones for long stretches at a time, and for the most part the LCD 2 is not that bad. I can go my long hours wearing them without breaks without much issue, but the little pains add up after a while. I have a V281 from Violectric as my amp to power them and Schiit Bifrost uber for a dac. I've been starting to look at possible alternative headphones that have better comfort but are the same level of sound quality as the LCD 2. I dont mind going away from the Audeze house sound too much, I like details, clarity, nuances, etc but I also listen to genres of music that might make headphones prone to sibilance just always sound sibilant (main different types of metal, and ambient electronic music, and some rock, it varies within each album what sounds are there and the quality of mastering, I generally have all flac and listen to bands that are recorded relatively well, but this is no crazy hi-rez classical symphony recording or jazz record). The problem is I can't seem to find all that many alternatives honestly. Budget wise I want to keep it 1500 and below, as I would be selling the LCD 2s and adding a little extra from my ebay sales of other stuff, if I do this. I will be able to take advantage of amazon's return policy, and will be getting an HD800 for 30 days from them and send it back, just so I can experience the polar opposite sound signature to the LCD 2. I figure depending which I like more, will help me narrow down this search a bit.

My questions for now are simply:

1. If I found out I prefer the sound along the lines of the LCD 2 then what alternatives can you recommend that are close in sound signature (doesnt have to be too similar, I dont mind a little neutrality) and are more comfy. that fall within my budget.

2. Same question as above just if I find out I prefer the HD800 sound a bit more, and dont simply go for them because of possibly being too much in that analytical direction of sound.

Some things that are in my criteria besides sound and comfort are the headphones have to be able to handle being powered by the Violectric V281, and I plan to use it balanced, so the headphones need to be able to have detachable cables or be bought from a store that can add a custom balanced cable hardwired in (sorta like what moon-audio does with the th-900). I have looked at lots of headphones and their reviews within these criteria, so I'm more so looking for reasons to actually buy one over the LCD 2, because I already know what makes a lot of these 1500 and below headphones good, I just want to know why you guys the owners like them over what I am using or if you have yourself owned an LCD 2 and did not like the comfort enough that you got something else, I want to know what that something else was and whether you like it more now.

-and just as a reminder overall, despite all of this one of my choices is simply keep the LCD 2 and put up with the comfort issues unless they get real bad one bad. I'm just really looking for things to be seriously considering, I'm a customer walking into your store, in your store is whatever your rig is, sell me on your rig. just don't be the sleazy kind of salesman lol :wink:

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions and "sales pitches" that will come, and for putting up with my lengthy posts. I really appreciate it.

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 7
HE560 without reservation. PM1 only if the new pads actually fix the treble; I'd have to hear it myself to believe it.

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 7
Seems like the he-560 is the common suggestion. I dont have any real way to try these out, and going off reviews here it seems theres a difference depending on which pads you use, and something about the bass not being consistent, being there in some songs, and then flat in others. At the same time other reviews seem to put it somewhere between and LCD 2 and HD800, which is definitely something that peaks my interest in it. But I would like to know people's opinions on them, since they are being suggested without hesitation. Taking into context the headphones I'm coming from.

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 7
You're talking about some of best cans made.  It's much like arguing who is the best player on the all-star team.  Like the ball players, they have different strengths--speed, defense, power, pitching, etc.  It's very similar in headphones.  You really need to find a way to listen to each of them (optimally in the same place on the same day) and see how each meets your personal definition of comfort.

Another way to look at it is that you can endlessly research a new car.  However, the test drives will tell you things you can't get from reading or pictures.

Aug 23, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 7
  You're talking about some of best cans made.  It's much like arguing who is the best player on the all-star team.  Like the ball players, they have different strengths--speed, defense, power, pitching, etc.  It's very similar in headphones.  You really need to find a way to listen to each of them (optimally in the same place on the same day) and see how each meets your personal definition of comfort.

Another way to look at it is that you can endlessly research a new car.  However, the test drives will tell you things you can't get from reading or pictures.

Totally agree. I will be able to try out the hd800 along side my lcd 2 at the same time, but only because of the amazon return policy being awesome. the he-560 is not on amazon so I cant just try it and return it without loss, and I dont live near any local audio store with headphones. Otherwise it is true I am choosing between overall great headphones, thats the idea, I just want to know what these strengths and weaknesses are of each. specifically ones I cant audition. I like your analogy with the best player on an all-star team, I pretty much am doing the equivalent of asking whose your favorite player and why, even though all the players are technically great. I know most of these give me some recommendation posts usually are asking what you guys think best suits me based on what I say, but I'm more so curious about what you guys chose for yourself (out of these high end choices) so that I can get a judge of how they might suit me (for those I cant try).

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back