Positional audio messed up with Zhaolu 1.3?
Jan 22, 2007 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

soloz2

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently got a Zhaolu 1.3 and it sounds great for music, but when I use the digital out from my X-fi to it the positional audio is all messed up. I had to switch back to my Number Cruncher. Any ideas about why this could be happening?

For example... In Counterstrike if someone was to the front left and shooting the sounds would be coming from all over the place not in front and to my left.

Jan 22, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 15
Alright, I just did a little more digging into this issue.

1. I hooked my digital coax cable back up to my Zhaolu and went into the Creative console and under CMSS 3D there is a demo that sounds like a helicopter is circling you. The sound was exactly opposite what it was supposed to be. when my headphones were plugged into the built in headphone amp. It is correct when I use the output to my LD II+

2. I put in Seether: Karma and Effect as the first track starts out with only the right channel. When played from my Sony SCD=CE595 to my Sansui 6060 the song starts out coming from the right channel.
- Using the digital out to my Zhaolu and listening via the headphone amp it is correct.
- using my LDII+ it is reversed.

This is really confusing. I know the DAC was modded and I'm wondering if whoever modded it screwed it up somehow
I purchased it from this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ghlight=zhaolu

Jan 23, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 15
no, it's not just the output cables. i checked them first. lol If it were the output cables, or even if the wires running to the output were crossed then it would make sense that the internal headphone amp would be correct and the external amp would be opposite. Which is not always the case. I'm going to have to try to move some things around and try different combinations with my 2 DACs, 2 amps (and receiver) and 2 sources (and computer)

Jan 23, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #5 of 15
maybe the polarity has been inverted somewhere? this can lead to pretty sound in music, but also a real loss of focus and direction

that's with speakers though. probably wouldn't affect headphone use ..

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2
the DAC was modded and I'm wondering if whoever modded it screwed it up somehow

The thread mentions an OPA627. If that's correct, then you found your problem. It is not suitable for this board!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 15
You mean OPA627 is not suitable for Zhaolu? Why?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thread mentions an OPA627. If that's correct, then you found your problem. It is not suitable for this board!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 15
There are many posts that OPA627 can be used as a central opamp?

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by visia
There are many posts that OPA627 can be used as a central opamp?

Only with an adapter!!!
OPA627 is a mono opamp
confused.gif
and is not pin-compatible with that socket. An OPA2604 or NE5532 would work fine and I believe there is no damage to the board from inserting the wrong opamp. However, you can kiss that OPA627 good bye... Don't plug it
evil_smiley.gif
into another circuit - it may cause damage!

As for the statement There are many posts, that is a great example of the power of the Internet...
evil_smiley.gif
Anyone with a keyboard can write whatever their heart desires...
mad.gif
It's up to you to weed out the crap...
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 15
Jan 24, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 15
Alright. I doublechecked the IC inbetween my Zhaolu and LDII+ and it is correct.

Trial #1
I have my Philips DVP-642 connected to my zhaolu via coax.

CD: Collective Soul: Dossage Track 2

Zhaolu output song starts in only the left channel
LDII+ output song starts in only the right channel

Trial #2
Sonu SCD-CE595 connected to Zhaolu via tosslink

Same CD and Track

Zhaolu output song starts in only the Left channel
LDII+ output song starts in only the right channel

Trial #3
Sony SCD-CE595 via analogue output to Sansui 6060 should give the correct output

Same CD and Track

Sansui output song starts in only the right channel

*note if memory serves me right this track always starts in the right channel when played in my car. I'll have to double check this of course.

Trial #4
X-fi output to Entech Number Cruncher 203.2

X-fi CMSS-3D Test

Using my PIMETA output: output is correct

Trial #5
X-fi output to Zhaolu

X-fi CMSS=3D Test

Zhaolu output is opposite what it should be
LDII+ output is correct

Now, in summary this is what I believe is wrong. The Zhaolu's internal headphone output is reversed, however the line level outputs are correct.

I will have to test the other pair of outputs on the Zhaolu to be sure and I will need to try to play CS:S again using the LDII+ to double check these findings.

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #14 of 15
Could op-amp orientation do it? Since central op-amp was replaced, maybe it was inserted in the wrong orientation.

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 15
well I believe the problem to be not with the op-amp but with the analogue output to the headphone amp. I changed the channels around this morning and I believe the problem has been resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back