Portland area VSAC 08
Oct 20, 2007 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

ironbut

500+ Head-Fier
Vacuum State of the Art Conference is being held May 24-26 in Vancouver Wa ( just across the river). I know it's a long way off but, the organizer is interested in having a tube driven headphone presence there. There's a large room available for a (tube only) meet. It's very close to the date of the national in Fa. but I'm sure there are lots that can't make the cross country trek. If you have home brewed tube amps, there's a DIY room called the Craftsman room where you can rub elbows with tube experimenters from all over. VSAC is where RMAF got it's roots but has grown to be a much more formal affair. There will be tons of SET action so K1000 owners shouldn't miss it! There hasn't been a VSAC since 2003 but here are the Positive Feedback impressions of the last one that my pal Doc Bottlehead organized.
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue9/toc9.htm
If your interested please post here so we can reserve a room.
BTW The usual tube amp vendors would share the room.

Oct 24, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 55
I was wondering why you were getting ahead of yourself but so glad you did. One question, I can guess the answer but "tube only" can't be twisted to hybrid can it?
evil_smiley.gif
I will most definitely make every effort to be there..dB

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 55
I'm sure that hybrids are welcome. Anyway,.. I don't think the thermonic police will be looking under the hoods of every device present!
What the organizer is hoping for is enough people to bring their gear to share a large room with the tube headphone amp vendors. There's a growing interest in headphones with our speaker driven audio brothers (and sisters). I think that this is the first time that an organizer has sought out folks who can help show them what how high the bar is with headphones. So I think this is a real opportunity to get some of the respect that our niche deserves. The show should be great too. A couple of the guys that I know that will have rooms there are bringing some real bleeding edge stuff. Some are designing and building gear just for this event and may never be seen publicly again. If you look at the impressions over on Positive Feedback you'll see that it isn't like other shows which are more sales oriented. This is more of an exchange of ideas illustrated by the gear. There is some vendors that are just there to sell their wares, but it's not all about that. It's fun!

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 55
In that case I would be more than willing to bring along some of the "bleeding edge" hybrids that have been and are being developed ( at least there is time to sling some solder). I am a huge tube fan and I can imagine just how much fun it's going to be. Thanks for initiating the interest..dB

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 55
(Hello to all the Portland Head fi'ers.)

Having gone to two previous VSAC's I can tell you it is well worth going to!

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 55
It's on my calendar! Looking forward to my first meet.

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #10 of 55
I'm still working on the particulars of an official Headfi presence at VSAC. Even if we don't end up with a room (or sharing one with record/cd sellers which seems most likely) individuals with homebrewed, tube headphone amps can still show their DIY gear in the Craftsman room.
Who usually organizes the meets in the Portland area?

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 55
I have done two meets in the past. I think the first ever was the one I put together in Eugene (long time ago). I also did one in Portland several years ago. More recently, one of the other Head fi'ers has done a great job of putting them together (I don't want to "out" him if he is no longer able to do them!)

I would be willing to offer what help I can, but my supply of gear is pretty slim now a day's. Phones I have- All Sony's - CD3000, CD1700, f1's, 7506's. I have no amps at this time. No sources worth bragging about either.

edit- Feel free to contact me if I can help out.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #12 of 55
Registered and ready to rock to the warmth of the glow of tubes!!

Any Bay Area folks that want to ride share LMK

ps my Eddie Current HD2 will be along for the ride if there is a spot for us to show our gear

Mar 29, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 55
I am registered for the meet. No tube amplifier yet, I am using a Ray Samuel HR-2 amp with my Sennheiser Hd-650 phones. I am planning on going tubed with the Zana Deux or the Woo WA-5. I would love to hear your Zana Deux at the meet. I am checking in at the Hilton on Thursday. David Pritchard 575-644-1462 ( I will have my phone on for the trip).

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #14 of 55
I'm planning on taking my rig with me so you should be able to give it a listen. There won't be a regular Headfi meet there but I'll find a place for the couple of rigs that will be there to set up.
Just so you know, I'm using a reel to reel set-up as a source and will have the following cans;
Ad 2000
hd600
k701
dt880
dt990

Mar 29, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #15 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm planning on taking my rig with me so you should be able to give it a listen. There won't be a regular Headfi meet there but I'll find a place for the couple of rigs that will be there to set up.
Just so you know, I'm using a reel to reel set-up as a source and will have the following cans;
Ad 2000
hd600
k701
dt880
dt990

if you are game maybe we can source share and run the Zana and HD2 off the reel to reel. I am not sure if that is feasible with the table sizes but it's a thought if you are game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back