Portishead new album?
Jun 12, 2002 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Jun 12, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 11
Something new by these guys would be cool. Thanks for the heads up.
By the way gloco, do you have the PNYC disc? I don't think I've seen that around.
thanks,
md

Jun 12, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 11
The live concert on cd? heck yeah, i bought it when it came out, it should be widely available, its great...simply amazing!

I also grabbed the DVD but havent really watched the whole thing.

Jun 13, 2002 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Musiclover4
What does Portishead sound like?

Trip-hop. They are, by many accounts, the masters. You could do worse than to start with PNYC.

Jun 13, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 11
trip hop?
I was waiting for someone else to post!
CDDB calls portishead goth/rock.
I was trying to compare them with someone or some other band I know of....no chance.
They are definately a band with their own sound.
md

Jun 13, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 11
goth/rock? I don't think so. Definitely trip-hop. Yeah, sure, they are dark and gloomy at times, but...have (whoever entered the data into cddb) even heard any real goth? Or trip-hop for that matter? I doubt it.

Two bands, offhand, that sorta sound like Portishead are Lamb and Halou. I totally dig the most recent albums from both of these bands (What Sound and Wiser, respectively). But I agree, they are sorta unique.

Someone please watch the DVD and tell me if it's worth buying.

Jun 13, 2002 at 11:51 AM Post #8 of 11
Goth.............not a chance, Portishead are trip hop for sure as
professor Dusty points out. Noy my favorite trip hop group for sure, but I think "dummy" CD is worth owning for occassional
listen.

Greatest trip hop CD for me is:
Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Jun 13, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 11
the dvd is amazing! i listen to it with my dvd player running through my msb link iii and i was blown away! that woman goes into the "earthly god" status for me with the likes of Tori Amos. also, it has their entire set (which is four more songs, if i remember correctly).

and i have to agree that massive attack's mezzanine is one of the greatest trip hop albums ever. portishead is high up there on my list too though. another one of my favorites is tricky's first album "maxinquaye." where's my brother carlo to back me up on this one?
biggrin.gif

favorite aspect of the dvd: you get to watch beth gibbons smoke while she sings. and it has all their music videos and short films.

Jun 13, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #10 of 11
hey grinch
wink.gif

yeah, maxinquaye is the "it" album for me, along with mezzanine i think the rest of the trip hop world is still trying to keep up. i still go back and forth on tricky's subsequent albums, angels with dirty faces gets time in the rotation but i'm still bitter over blowback and millenium.

i just picked up some vinyl off his label, "ancats2zambia" and "hard times" by the baby nambooos, haven't spun them yet (haven't been in a tricky sort of mood lately).

portishead is definitely brilliant with trip hop influences. i don't think they really fit into a category though, they're just... portishead.

i'll need to pick up the pnyc disc.

best,
carlo.

Jun 16, 2002 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 11
I have to add that I am excited about both the PNYC cd and the possible new one. I will be back in the states in August, and I will have this massive cd buying spree. I have not really bought a cd since September other than Zemfira (a Russian rock band). I also agree that massive attack is great. The first track of mezzanine is my standard for checking bass on my headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back