porting a balanced armature?
Nov 4, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 13
Well, unless the actual armature itself is ported, it shouldn't make any difference.  Otherwise the armature should just be connected directly to the nozzle with acoustic tubing...

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 13
There are a few ported BA's. One is the Sleek Audio SA6. It definitely does help bass and soundstage. But like stated above, the armature itself has to be ported or it will be pointless to port the enclosure around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 5, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 13
A few things. As has been said, if the BA itself is not ported, porting the housing won't change a ting and most BAs are not. Venting is a better term here as the hole is not additive like a speaker port and is rather critical. It will vary by transducer and not just type. When you vent, too large a hole can actually give you less apparent bass even while lowering the system resonance point and too small can give excessive mid bass. In the Altec you show, it may be a UE 4 but vented drivers often have removable plugs so venting a 4 may not even get you the same result. It could be the exact same driver without a vent or the Altec vent may be purely cosmetic as there was no reason to close it for this application. You just don't know unless you listen to it for yourself and see if it changes when closed.

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 13
Well honestly, unless anyone has heard both of them to compare, I don't think much else can be said...your only option would be to either go with whichever you feel will be the best or get both then sell one of them.

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 13
I own the Backbeat Pro and had the SuperFi 4 for a brief period and I don't recall any real differences in sound.

Can't answer your second question on what sounds more natural. For me it's probably dynamic drivers but others (including you) may disagree. The best way is to try out some earphones and come to your own conclusion, though I realize that's not always possible.

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 13
To me, the one BA based iem that I've heard, which is the Sleek Audio SA6 sounds very good, but also sounds too machine like. Its hard to explain, but in my experience dynamic drivers sound more natural and acoustic, while the SA6 sounds extremely accurate and machine like. I dont mean in terms of frequency response, but in terms of speed and reverberation and soundstage.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back