Portapros or iGrados?
May 7, 2008 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tuesday

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I want your help regarding what to choose. Now I have PX100s and PK2s. I love the PK2s but I also want a similar sounding pair of 'on-ear-phones'. I think the PX100s are to dark compared to the PK2s. I also can't feel the PK2s nice ringing cymbals and the fine treble in the PX100s , and the bass is to over represented for my taste.

I have been thinking of SR60s but they seem to bulky, I'm mostly outdoors when listening (walking my dog for really long walks everyday
biggrin.gif
)

I have a 3g iPod with well compressed songs and want the best and most clear sound with this rig. I listen to a lot of Jazz, so it's much about acoustic music.

So, what do you think? Are the Portapros or the iGrados a better choice for me? Or are they likewise compared to my PX100, so it would be unnecesseray to buy one of those others? In that case; what do you suggest?

Thanks!

May 7, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 12
Hi!

If the PX100's bass is to heavy for you the Portapros could also be too bassy.
I guess you don't have to wait long until the Koss KSC-75 gets recommended. Having not heard them but knowing that they have similar drivers like Portapros I would say they could be too bass heavy either.
Have you tried some EQ on your ipod?

Jonas

May 7, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo-Vo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried some EQ on your ipod?

Jonas

Believe it or not, but when I just strolled out with my dog, I changed the EQ settings for the first time and this got my PX100s a lot better
tongue.gif
And this was just before your post Jonas! What a coincidence!

I was the type who thought that real audiophiles don't use EQ
redface.gif

Thanks Jonas! Now I will use the EQ a lot. Yeah I know, I'm a dork!

But anyway, it would be nice with some more input.

May 7, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 12
I currently own the PK2's and the PortaPro's, and I used to own the iGrado's. I bought the PortaPro's first after I sold my MS1's to use as my main portable cans and i loved them until I bought my PK2's

Now I find the PortaPro's was too bass heavy and the high end just is not there at all compared to the PK2's. Though I do find the PortaPro's about the most comfortable superaural headphones ever made. I later bought the iGrados and I loved the sound, it had much more controlled bass than the PortaPro's and the highs may not have been as good as the Pk2's, but they were still much better than the PortaPro's

The only reason I sold my iGrados is that I found them incredibly uncomfortable. I could not wear them for more than 30 minutes, unlike the PortaPros and the PK2's which I can wear for hours on end.

So if you think the PX100's are too dark I bet you will not like the PortaPros, but if you can put up with the comfort issues, the iGrado may just be a good match for you.

May 7, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 12
How about a non obtrusive in ear? I just got the Shure SE530s and they are great. You don't have to spend this much for decent quality, my E2Cs are not that bad for the money and I don't feel self conscious on the bus riding to work.

May 8, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #6 of 12
Get the iGrado's. More bass, better clarity, basically they're better than the 100's or the porta's.

May 8, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #8 of 12
I got iGrados as well. the confort issues with it are related to the shape of your head, so it's better to try them first. I don't have any confort problems...by the way, they sound great! Get iGrados
wink.gif

May 8, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RuiCanela /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got iGrados as well. the confort issues with it are related to the shape of your head, so it's better to try them first. I don't have any confort problems...by the way, they sound great! Get iGrados
wink.gif

Thanks RuiCanela!

Noticed you have the AKG K 24 Ps. How are they compared to th iGrados?

May 8, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 12
the lower end AKG's take a bit of getting used to., the iGrado's are open, the AKG's (at first) sound very congested. However the bass is full....in fact he whole sound is full. Like i said, compared to the iGrado's the AKG's are a bit of a culture shock.

May 8, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hekoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own the PK2's and the PortaPro's, and I used to own the iGrado's. I bought the PortaPro's first after I sold my MS1's to use as my main portable cans and i loved them until I bought my PK2's

Now I find the PortaPro's was too bass heavy and the high end just is not there at all compared to the PK2's. Though I do find the PortaPro's about the most comfortable superaural headphones ever made. I later bought the iGrados and I loved the sound, it had much more controlled bass than the PortaPro's and the highs may not have been as good as the Pk2's, but they were still much better than the PortaPro's

The only reason I sold my iGrados is that I found them incredibly uncomfortable. I could not wear them for more than 30 minutes, unlike the PortaPros and the PK2's which I can wear for hours on end.

So if you think the PX100's are too dark I bet you will not like the PortaPros, but if you can put up with the comfort issues, the iGrado may just be a good match for you.

Igrados can be tight fitting and the back of the phones will not let you rest your head back. I sold mine because of comfort issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back