PortaPros: Not too shabby to say the least
Jan 22, 2005 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

azmodien

New Head-Fier
After my horrid experience with the MDR-EX71SLs I finally found a decent replacement. I guess it isn't anything new to the people on this board but the Koss PortaPros are very respectable for their price range.

They the least distortion of any headphones I have owned (gets rid of lispy quality on vocals). The sound is very full and clean while still being easy to drive. If there is one critisizm, it's that they leak way too much sound, they are as lound on the outside as they are on the inside. I guess thats the drawback with any open design.

I am pretty impressed with the sound quality after 36 hours of use but I was wondering, do they get even better with time?

Jan 22, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 7
I agree, especially with it being easy to drive. I usually have the volume at 2/30, and sometimes I have to turn it down to 1/30.

I don't know if it's my DAP, the PortaPros or my ears
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 7
Portapros... my first set of real headphones. I used to like em but in Australia these are now about A$130. At that price the Sony ex888 gives a lot cleaner and better sound right across the frequency range. But nevertheless, I still have a soft spot for the Portapros, that HUGE bass does tire you out after a while though.

TonyAAA

Jan 23, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 7
I agree with most of the positives of the PortaPros. For nearly two decades (20 years) they set the standard for a good-sounding, highly portable conventional headphone which comes reasonably close to (but doesn't quite match) the sound quality of a bigger, more expensive pair of headphones. But now that Sennheiser came out with the PX100 two years ago, the PortaPro is still competitive at its price point -- but I would have to give a very slight edge to the PX100 in overall sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back