PortaPro2 vs. PortaPro
Apr 12, 2006 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jagged

100+ Head-Fier
I know that the PP2 cost less than the PP...

I just got a pair of the PP2 and I love them! I was wondering what the difference between the PP2 and the PP were... are the PP better? what about the SportaPro?

I'm thinkin about parting with my PP2 and getting the PP instead..

Good idea?

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 15
The only difference is the coloring and the "comfort zone" adjustor. The temple pads on the regular portaPro move inwards and outwards to put less pressure on the ear, the portaPro 2 doesn't.

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 15
Most of the newer regular PortaPro's I've seen are all black - just like the PP2's (except for the plastic chrome ring and steel headband). The regular PortaPro used to use light blue plastic for the driver housings, but I don't think they do that anymore.

You've probably heard this before, but if you want something that sounds just like it - only better - get a pair of KSC75's. There is more of a difference than just lighter head pressure on the ear w/o a headband for the 75's. It may be that the titanium coating sparkles up the sound a bit and tightens the bass. The Ti coating is supposedly the only difference in drivers. There is NO LESS bass, but listening to my PP's sound muffled after using the 75's.

The 75's are just great, period - cheaper, more comfortable, more portable.

Apr 12, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
You've probably heard this before, but if you want something that sounds just like it - only better - get a pair of KSC75's. There is more of a difference than just lighter head pressure on the ear w/o a headband for the 75's. It may be that the titanium coating sparkles up the sound a bit and tightens the bass. The Ti coating is supposedly the only difference in drivers. There is NO LESS bass, but listening to my PP's sound muffled after using the 75's.

Agreed, but to my ears the Portapro2s still sound good. The bass improves with amping just as the KSC-75, although not as much IMO. As far as sparkle, I actually like the top end of the PP2 a bit better (more Senn-like rather than Grado-like), but KSC-75/KTXPRO1 is definitely more neutral in my opinion.

Apr 13, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
Most of the newer regular PortaPro's I've seen are all black - just like the PP2's (except for the plastic chrome ring and steel headband). The regular PortaPro used to use light blue plastic for the driver housings, but I don't think they do that anymore.

The 75's are just great, period - cheaper, more comfortable, more portable.

I just bought a brand new set of portapros and they still have the sexy light blue plastic. I love the look of it, so retro that it's not, you know?
Slade

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 15
Does the "regular" PortaPro also come with a case of some kind? I don't know -- I just got the PortaPro 2's, and I'm very happy with the quality
tongue.gif
rice ratio.

Apr 13, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
Does the "regular" PortaPro also come with a case of some kind? I don't know -- I just got the PortaPro 2's, and I'm very happy with the quality
tongue.gif
rice ratio.

Just a leather pouch. I don't use it, not that careful with them, it would be a pain.

Aug 17, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 15
I purchased the KSC-75 at Radio Shack and found them to be awful. I found that hey didn't fit tightly enought against the ear so too much of the sound was leaking due to the spacing between the driver and the ear. Just awful. My PortaPro fits fine against my ear and I get proper sound.

Aug 17, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWolf
I purchased the KSC-75 at Radio Shack and found them to be awful. I found that hey didn't fit tightly enought against the ear so too much of the sound was leaking due to the spacing between the driver and the ear. Just awful. My PortaPro fits fine against my ear and I get proper sound.

Seconded.

Aug 17, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
I thought the 60ohms line up really sucked.

This is MY opinion. So don't flame me.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion...even if it's wrong.
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion...even if it's wrong.
wink.gif

Well, you know
rolleyes.gif

My HP460's sound a hell lot better ... even if other people are wrong.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 17, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
The bass improves with amping just as the KSC-75, although not as much IMO.

I found both KSC75 and PP sounding strangely "overpowered" when being driven amped (especially the PP). Too much bass - and I am basshead, as you can see in my sig. After trying the PP amped, even my DT770 sounded almost K501ish in comparison, crazy.
tongue.gif

Generally, I liked the lively KSC75 much better than the PP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back