Portapro2 better than Grados sr60?!
Sep 13, 2004 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

meesha

100+ Head-Fier
Well I've gotten a bit bonkers with the credit card lately (not as bad as some of you out there!). Recent purchases include 40 gig Ipod, a grado sr-60 and an ex51 in the mail. I mostly listen to rock and electronic so I thought the grado would be great with the ipod. Low and behold my portapro2's that I got during the $20 CC extravaganza (thanks guys!), keep making me put away the grados. Am I crazy? They just dont have enough meat to em, when I say meat I guess I mean upper bass/ lower mids. The best example of the sound I like are the the Beyer 250-80. It had so much meat it scared me at first, but I returned it because I could not deal with the plug hanging from my ear. The Grados just sound a bit tinny in comparison to the portapro.
Am I crazy?
Is there anything I can do to the grados to beef em up?
Is there anything else that can fufill my carnivorous needs?
Should I even bother opening up the ex51's?
Thanks Guys!

Sep 13, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by meesha
Am I crazy?

No way! at the end of the day it is what sounds right to YOUR ears, that is best for you... From what I can tell from the little info you gave is that you are a big fan of the bass your KOSS headphones put out (and you dont have to be ashamed to be a bass head) so the Grado sound is just not suited to your tastes.

Do the SR60's come with the comfies? As you would find, if you were to do a search many people believe that the flats or the sen flats do a good job at beefing up the lower range of the SR's but even then i get the feeling they will not quite have what you are after.
Quote:

Is there anything else that can fufill my carnivorous needs?

Do some searches for the HD 25 (i think of the top of my head that has strong bass) and definatly the DT770/770 PRO, as this thing has absolutly amazing bass, which feels like you have a sub woofer strapped to each ear... but dont be afraid that it will ruin the sound, as when matched with a good source/amp these sound trememdous
biggrin.gif

Hope i was some asistance to you, and remember at the end of the day, its what you hear and you enjoy that matters.

have a good day.
-jake

Sep 13, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 22
Ha thanks for re-affirming my sanity, I still wonder though!
I wouldn't say I was a basshead, more of a lower mid person. I like the visceral feeling of being hit in the gut and start sweating just from listening to the music. It did come with the comfies, maybe I'll give the flats a shot. I do like the portapros, definitley the best bang for buck I have ever gotten, but they can sound a bit artificial and sloppy at times, not much gut punchin, but go well with an ipod (no real need for eq). (Side note:HipHop Eq on ipod seems to beef up the grados)

I guess the search continues...

Have a Great Day as Well!

Sep 13, 2004 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 22
If he likes the PP2 (nearly identical in sound compared to the PP ?) then HD25 definately has too little bass "kick". The PX100/PX200 has loud bass but according to others generally isn't a step up from PP. The DT770-M is where it's at
basshead.gif

Sep 13, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

...The best example of the sound I like are the the Beyer 250-80. It had so much meat it scared me at first, but I returned it because I could not deal with the plug hanging from my ear. Am I crazy?...
Should I even bother opening up the ex51's?
Thanks Guys!

Hmm, the crazy part is returning the 250s because of "plug" issues. !
wink.gif
The damn Grado stethoscope cord is far more irritating to my tastes...

As for the EX51s, they are useful as they are the only "closed" phones in your collection and they are also the lowest impedance phones, meaning you can drive them easily with the Ipod w/o dipping into battery life too much. They are also the most portable as they are the smallest and lightest.

Their sound is extremely bass heavy, but with reasonably good detail, roughly comparable to the Portas. I personally like it, and think these phones fit well in a collection, which seems to be what you have.

If you really like bass you will find the EX51s a good companion for Ipod walks and travels, or if you use the Pod in a library, cafe, or public commute where noise in or out would be a burden to you or others.

des

Sep 14, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 22
As far as the 250's go, the plug sticks out almost a full two inches from one of your ears! Everytime I would turn my head it would hit my shoulder. atleast the wires on the grados are flexible. Side note I did get the ex51's today, not as bass heavy as I thought it would be, It is fair to say that it is a in ear equivilant to the v6's, which I really dont like. No mids, all bass and harsh highs. They do block out a good amount of sound though ( trains less noticable today). Thats what makes wearing portapros so bad for my commute, no blockage. i found that my mx400's sounds better than the ex51, but again no blockage. maybe take a shot at the e2's?
On a side note I bought some radio shack ear pads to cut them, couldnt bring myself to do it to the comfies, I'll how that goes for my quest for the meaty earphone.
This is getting expensive, I Think its time to take head fi off my favorites list before i get Bankrupt.

Sep 14, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 22
As people have said, it's what sounds right to your ears that matter.
If you want serious meat, then try the HD25-1! If you liked the DT250-80, then you'll probably like it; it's like the DT250-80 but with better extension and detail, and with even more "meat."
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 22
Mmmmmmm.....meat...
I tried the RS PADS.. much less itchier. Sounds wise not much better than comfy, will cutting ahole release the meat? or just extend the highs?

Sep 14, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #12 of 22
It'll just release the veggies.
tongue.gif
(highs)

Sep 15, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 22
Another thing, amped, the portapros fall in comparison to the grados. But through the ipod alone, I think the portapros take the cake. Yeah and the RAT shack ear pads are begining to ich as well...dammit.

Sep 15, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 22
To be fair...get Senn 19545 pads and mod them (cheap and easy), Put'em on and listen to your SR60's for a few days.

THEN and only then go back to the Portapros. You should notice that while the bass is kickin...there are other things missing.

I felt the same way once until I did a deeper level of comparison.

Sep 15, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 22
how do the porta pro's compare, to the porta pros 2?

Personally i think my SR60s sound a ton better then my porta pros, but, yeah thats just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back