Portapro vs. PX100 vs. ??? for my iPod
Oct 5, 2004 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cirque

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I know you're probably sick and tired of answering these questions, but...

I just recently bought an iPod, but the stock earphones really are rather lacking in terms of sound quality. To start it off: my budget is rather limited - approx. $100. I can afford to go a little bit higher if necessary.

Since I listen to a lot of ambient music, electronica (Aphex Twin, Biosphere, Underworld, etc) I would prefer a pair of headphones that would do that kind of music justice. I'm no bass head, but some bass is needed to make the music sound good. But I'm not the kind of guy that reach for the "Loudness" button. I would like something rather naturally sounding, as clear as possible, but at the same time "engaging" if you know what I mean.

I have read about Etymotic, but I would prefer a normal pair of headphones - not earpieces. And I'm a little bit afraid they will be too "analytical" for my taste. I have a pair of Stax Lambda at home, and wile they are clear as heaven I'm not expecting anything in that league for portable use.

Also, I'm looking for a pair of headphones that could be used without an amp.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this post
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 9
I am in the same boat as you. I decided on the PX100s in the end - it's was a toss up in terms of sound quality between the two on these forums, although the good folks at Headroom gave the edge to the PX100s. The other reasons I picked them was they look little less alien when you wear them in public, and come with a handy pastic case which suites me fine for travel use. They both sell for about the same if you search on Froogle.

As for how they sound - I cannot tell you yet - I should be receving them sometime this week.
icon10.gif

Oct 5, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 9
Eh, they're both good; you won't be disappointed either way.

Yes, they sound different.

I used to think that the bass for the Koss Porta Pro was too boomy (and the highs too harsh), but after some stretching of the metal headband, 200+ hours of burn-in, and the addition of xin's 75 ohm adapter with my cmoy, I'm a happy camper.

My Koss Porta Pros are probably my favorite portable headphone right now (used more frequently than my PX100s).

If you ever intend to run or exercise with your ipod, I'd recommend the Koss Porta Pros over the PX100s; they stay on your head better.

The PX100s initially had tighter bass, smoother highs, and a more neutral performance than the Koss Porta Pros (PX100s require about 80-90% max volume on my ipod, Koss Porta Pros about 75%).

For me, the Porta Pros mellowed out over time. I still wouldn't say that they're as neutral as the PX100s. If you aren't exercising, I think the PX100s are the safe and fashion-conscious pick.

Currently Listening to: "Misfits" by Third Eye Blind on my ATH-A900s

Oct 5, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
The PX100s initially had tighter bass, smoother highs, and a more neutral performance than the Koss Porta Pros (PX100s require about 80-90% max volume on my ipod, Koss Porta Pros about 75%).

75-90% volume on an iPod?!?

Those are painfully high volume levels for me. (I never go past 25% with any of my phones!)

I assume you mean you set the volume to those levels, and the run the iPod into an amp, where hopefully the volume isn't set so high!

Oct 6, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27

I used to think that the bass for the Koss Porta Pro was too boomy (and the highs too harsh), but after some stretching of the metal headband, 200+ hours of burn-in, and the addition of xin's 75 ohm adapter with my cmoy, I'm a happy camper.

That's just what I thought about the ProtaPro's when I first tried them: boomy. Thanks for your advice!

Oct 6, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 9
Sometimes I prefer my PX100 and sometimes PortaPro.
A try to analyse would be that PX100 is a little cleaner and more balanced.
Still, against odds PortaPro is often more engaging in some way, hard to explain. I listen to PX100 and sing with PortaPro as a try to explanation.

Georg Langrath

Oct 6, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 9
I have been using the PortaPro's for a couple of years now. The bass is pretty boomy, but I recall reading that it's that on purpose for outdoor use. Not _too_ disturbing for me indoors, either.

With the Senn's I only have very little experience. Having owned the PortaPro's for about a year, I was buying new phones for my wife. I briefly tried the Senn's from the output of a standard PCDP and did not like the sound at all. The highs seemed very harsh and unpleasent, almost hurting my ears even though the volume wasn't that high.

EDIT: so with my limited experience, I'd pick the PortaPro's any day..

Oct 6, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath
Sometimes I prefer my PX100 and sometimes PortaPro.
A try to analyse would be that PX100 is a little cleaner and more balanced.
Still, against odds PortaPro is often more engaging in some way, hard to explain. I listen to PX100 and sing with PortaPro as a try to explanation.

Georg Langrath

That makes perfect sense! I tried them both. The PortaPro really is the big brother of wickedness compared to the PX100. I agree that the PortaPro's are more engaging, to the point where I was looking for the "No, really, please - turn off the loudness"-button, the way you feel with Cerwin Vega speakers. So why did I buy the PX100 instead? No idea. My guts just told me that they sounded more to my liking.

Thanks for all your advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back