PortaPro vs PX100 Poll
Oct 13, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 24
px-100 for me.

I've owned and throughly enjoyed three pair of PortaPro over the years. They are also an excellent choice.

I haven't used the Koss in a while and I haven't used the px-100 in a couple of weeks, either. These days, I only use IEMs.

The thing with IEMs is they sound amazing and provide long duration listening comfort I've never experienced before. For what it's worth, I think the extra physical comfort helps provide a sensation of improved quality over all. It's easier to float into a space occupied only by myself and disembodied music.

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Brown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
px-100 for me.

I've owned and throughly enjoyed three pair of PortaPro over the years. They are also an excellent choice.

I haven't used the Koss in a while and I haven't used the px-100 in a couple of weeks, either. These days, I only use IEMs.

The thing with IEMs is they sound amazing and provide long duration listening comfort I've never experienced before. For what it's worth, I think the extra physical comfort helps provide a sensation of improved quality over all. It's easier to float into a space occupied only by myself and disembodied music.

Opinion made even more valid since you've tried both. Forgot to mention.....no homer votes please. If you haven't tried both, you couldn't possibly know.

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 24
In the end, It's really going to come down to which one has a sound you prefer more. I bought the PortaPro for the temporal pads as well as prior experience with the KSC 75 while my roommate bought the PX-100 for the headband pads and the better folding mechanism. We spent almost 6 months going back and forth on each other's phones contemplating trading them, until he realized he preferred the slightly more laid back Senns and I preferred the slightly more in-your-face Koss.

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the end, It's really going to come down to which one has a sound you prefer more. I bought the PortaPro for the temporal pads as well as prior experience with the KSC 75 while my roommate bought the PX-100 for the headband pads and the better folding mechanism. We spent almost 6 months going back and forth on each other's phones contemplating trading them, until he realized he preferred the slightly more laid back Senns and I preferred the slightly more in-your-face Koss.

For me....I know they'll both be great. I'm far from being an audiophile although I try to get good sounding phones. It'll probably come down to portability with me and the PX100 wins in that category.

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... he realized he preferred the slightly more laid back Senns and I preferred the slightly more in-your-face Koss.

This is exactly what it came down to for me. My taste, however, leans toward that of your buddy.

When I was younger, I know I would have preferred the Koss.

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 24
Owned both, gave away the Porta-Pro's, after doing that twice I stopped buying them
icon10.gif

Found them to be too bassy for my taste. And IMO not a good bass either, too loose.

Oct 13, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 24
I like them both. Sound aside, the Koss always "seemed" more rugged (no experience to back this up) and the PX-100's never pulled my hair out. With rock music I preferred the PortaPro slightly more. I guess the "in your face" sound is what I expect with rock. But I listen to pop, country, classical and jazz as well and overall I like the PX-100 sound better. The decision was finalized when the PP went missing.

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #13 of 24
Old PX100's (orange markings on the box) were comparable soundwise to KPP. New PX100 have some sound weaknesses improved (better treble, wider and more straightforward soundstage) so it makes them overall slightly better sounding.
When the ergonomics are discussed, KPP lose all the way. The PX100's headband is equally easy to extend and shorten. Porta Pro's don't like to be extended. When you wear them on the neck, it's self-clenching, plus you cannot turn the transducers to lie flat over your chest. The last thing is the PX100's plastic case. It's a very nice gadget! When you place the headphones into the case, or take them out, it's a so damn cool ritual!
rolleyes.gif
Almost like setting up a vinyl recording to play.
rs1smile.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #14 of 24
I have both headphones and its an easy pick for me. PX100 all the way!

Reason:
1. PortaPro bass is bloated. It completely ruin the details of treble and mids. While I like PX100 bass because it has a nice hump.
2. PX100 can be folded like a glasses, while PortaPro curls like a ball (which is hard to store)
3. The PortaPro headband slider mechanism always managed to get my hair stuck. (And it hurt as hell when I remove PortaPro)
4. I dont like retro look, especially with portable headphones since people will make a strange stare at me.

Note: The driver in Portapro is the same with the legendary KSC-35 (which is no longer for sale).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back