Portapro vs HD485 vs HD238
Nov 19, 2009 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

xPro_MetheuSx

100+ Head-Fier
Hi my dear friends. I have Sansa Clip, Cowon d2+, Portapro and Cresyn HP-600. Although I'm very happy with my setups I think upgrade about headphones. I usually listen trance and electronic music. I think Sennheiser HD 485 will be a good ugrade in addition Sennheiser HD 238.

If you compare for me portapro, HD485 and HD238 I'll be very pleased. Thank you.

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 19
I've never heard the HD238 and it's been around 2 years since I owned the HD485. I didn't own the Portapro at the time so I never compared them directly. I can say they're a lot more comfortable. Sound wise, they're probably a small step up, but nothing huge. When I owned them, I bought an HD580 and the HD485 sounded like a slightly less refined version of the HD580, especially in the bass.

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 19
I've had all 3 and would probably pass on the HD485's, especially for the price. They are definitely comfortable, but I would probably say the portapros sound smoother and more lively. The HD238's do sound more refined and crisp than the portapros, but are much harder to drive. I remembered my portapros sounding great from all sources. The HD238's will be much quieter at same volume levels, but with an amp will sound amazing.

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryPham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had all 3 and would probably pass on the HD485's, especially for the price. They are definitely comfortable, but I would probably say the portapros sound smoother and more lively. The HD238's do sound more refined and crisp than the portapros, but are much harder to drive. I remembered my portapros sounding great from all sources. The HD238's will be much quieter at same volume levels, but with an amp will sound amazing.

Thank for your help. Can you compare portapro and HD238 about low-mid-high now I'm thinking buy HD238. Is it a huge step up after portapro? Or can you suggest better step up? Thank you.

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 19
How 'bout a Grado SR80i? Definately a step forward in my opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 19
I would say that the portapros def have more thump in the bass department, while mids and highs are clearer on the HD238. I would say that they're worth the upgrade only if you have an amplifier to bring it to its full potential. Unamped, I would still have to say that the portapros are my favorite headphones (compared to AD700, SR60i, HD485, HD238, RTX7).

***sorry, i meant to say that the mids and highs are both much clearer on the HD238, while the portapros are more bass heavy.

Nov 19, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

I would say that the portapros def have more thump in the bass department, while mids are clearer on the portapros. I would say that they're worth the upgrade only if you have an amplifier to bring it to its full potential. Unamped, I would still have to say that the portapros are my favorite headphones (compared to AD700, SR60i, HD485, HD238, RTX7).

Thank you. Can you suggest me headphones for ugrade an can you suggest what can I do?

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 19
are you planning on getting an amplifier anytime in the future? If not, I would maybe take a look at some Alessandro MS1's. I've never heard these first hand, but many people on these boards have praised these headphones as being easy to drive and great for trance. Maybe someone else here can give you a more direct comparison with the portapros.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 19
HD238 is a definite huge step up form portapros.
Portapros sound real good if you're coming form stock earbuds but in comparison with 238, are simply much too muddy.

I much prefer the cleaner-sounding 238, with an impressive bass impact to boot.

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #10 of 19
I agree that the HD238 is a huge improvement, but I must bring up the fact that although its only 32 ohm, It's considerably harder to drive than the 60 ohm portapro (not sure how that works, probably something to do with sensitivity). I don't know the power output of the Clip and D2+, but on my Sansa Fuze, I have to have the volume at about 90% to drive them to the same loudness level as 60% with the portapros.

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

I agree that the HD238 is a huge improvement, but I must bring up the fact that although its only 32 ohm, It's considerably harder to drive than the 60 ohm portapro (not sure how that works, probably something to do with sensitivity). I don't know the power output of the Clip and D2+, but on my Sansa Fuze, I have to have the volume at about 90% to drive them to the same loudness level as 60% with the portapros.

Which amp can drive HD238 easily? Is e5 enough for HD238?

Nov 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 19
Hmm, I have an E5, and although it does make the HD238 sound better than unamped, I would still say its a bit underpowered. I'm currently using a Bravo tube amplifier (Valve Class A Tube Headphone Amplifier pre Bravo VC 9 - eBay (item 260511925928 end time Nov-24-09 18:00:48 PST)

as my main amp right now it makes the HD238 sound amazing, about 2X better than with an E5. If portability is a must for you, I would maybe try to find a used penguinamp Caffeine amplifier on these forums. I had that amplifier in the past and can also verify that it makes the HD238 sound very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back