Portapro re-solder?
Oct 13, 2006 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dougmwpsu

100+ Head-Fier
Today in class i was an idiot and caught my Porta Pro cable against a chair as i was rushing to turn in a quiz late. it broke past the y junction, so only one of the earpeices is disconnected. i stripped down the severed cable midsection, but the 2 wires, (gold and red) won't reconnect. i'm not realyl sure what's going on in the situation. the red bundle had a plastic insulating sheeth that i removed, the gold wire was bare. no mater how i reconnect them, the one earpeice won't produce any sound. am i missing something? how could touching the 2 broken wires together without shorts and without insulating materials fail to recconect the driver? i can't resolder them untill i at least figure out what's going on with the severed wires. Help!

Oct 13, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 2
This would be a good excuse to recable your PortaPro, but only if you are familair with cables and soldering.

If you still want to repair your broken cables, first of all you have to remember that the signal wires are insulated in transparent skin to prevent contact with ground signal. If you want to connect the wires, you will have to strip the insulation by simply burning them with a cigarette lighter - done carefully it will be nice. Remember that Red wire is Right Chanel signal and the copper colored is ground. Green is Left Chanel and ground is copper as well. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back