PortaPro 2000
Dec 8, 2006 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tenchi211

100+ Head-Fier
I just got myPorta Pros back from a warranty repair yesterday and am enjoying them now. I still marvel at what a great value these phones are. It made me think about my old pair of PortaPro 2000. I've finally posted links to some pics of them if anyone is interested in seeing them. They are very delicate and in need of some repair. I contacted Koss about them a few years ago, but they did not carry parts for them anymore so it seems like I'm out of luck getting them repaired or finding ear cushions to fit the drivers. Still, they were/are an excellent pair of phones. Anyway, here are the links:

http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1856bo1.jpg
http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1858kz1.jpg
http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1859bx5.jpg

I hope the links work alright. This is my first time trying to post photos so I apologize in advance if they don't work correctly.

Dec 8, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 6
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Whoa Ive never seen that Koss phone before.

When did you buy it?

I'm pretty sure you can get replacement foams from radio hack.

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Whoa Ive never seen that Koss phone before.

When did you buy it?

I'm pretty sure you can get replacement foams from radio hack.

Oh man...let's see...the original PortaPro came out in 1985 I believe (first seen by me in the Sept. '85 Stereo Review) and the PortaPro 2000 dropped I think about two or three years later. They came with over the ear pads that fit over the existing earpieces (unfortunately I've misplaced them. They didn't sound too good with 'em), and a leatherette zip around carry case similar to those shaving pouches. The PP2000 drivers are about 30% larger than the PortaPros that's why it's difficult to find the right size cushions for them. I've tried Radio Shack on numerous occaisions with no luck (at least at the Shacks here in Riverside, CA.).

The original PortaPro retailed for about $60 and the PP2000 was about $70 or $80. The thing that stood out about them for me was that they played louder than the PortaPro and had deeper bass. They were my reference portable can for a number of years, and they still sound great until they were discontinued. I'll have some comparison pics of these and the PortaPros as soon as I can.

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 6
I still have one of these, which is the second pair. I sent in the first one many years ago after the plastic on the headband cracked and got the current pair. The headband recently cracked again. I simply patched the headband this time and will use it in the office until it is unrepairable. It actually sounds quite good, but Koss chose the wrong type of plastic for the headband. I can understand why the model was discontinued. Probably too many broken headbands.

Dec 5, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 6
WoW!!!!
You are monsters, guys!
I thought my Porta Pro2 are kinda rarity, but pp2000. Cool - great item for PP fans :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back