Portal Panache vs Rega Ear or Creek obh-11
Apr 9, 2006 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RTilbury

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I currently use a Portal Panache integrated amp to power my sennheiser Hd650s. I really think the panache sounds great, but I have never heard a stand-alone headphone amp before. I am wondering if maybe the rega ear or obh-11 would be an upgrade?

From what I have heard the Panache really has a good headphone output on it, with only a buffer connected to the amps output with no ICs in the path.

I would realllllyyy like to hear from anyone who has heard the panache and other headphone amps to see what they might think.

Thanks

Apr 9, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 6
I recently bought the Portal Panache to power my AKG K1000's. At the time of this purchase, I owned the Ray Samuel's Raptor (still own), and the Grace 901. Also for portable use I had the SR71 and a Xin Supermacro with OPA 627 opamp. The Panache does quite well when I compare it to my tube rolled Raptor and it smoked my Grace 901 (so much so that I sold it). The headphones that I used to compare these 3 amps were the HD650/Zu, Sony SA5000 and CD3000's and AKG K1000 and K340. The Panache is much better IMO than the 901 in driving low impedance cans like the Sony's. It also was clearly better than the 901 when powering the hard to drive K340's. It absolutely blows away anything that I've tried to drive my K1000's. My comparision to two $1200+ headphone amps should reassure you that you have a great amp. IMO, the Creek and Rega that you are considering is a big down grade in performance. I would consider the Panache in the same league as many $1000 plus headphone amps. I think the Panache is one of the most powerful and underrated headphone amps in existance. If you want a different sound, buy another headphone that will complement your 650's.

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 6
Very interesting. Your response was exactly the thing I was looking for. Thank you very much. It sounds like I have a great headphone amp already and now I can spend my money on music instead.

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by RTilbury
It sounds like I have a great headphone amp already and now I can spend my money on music instead.

Exactly, now you know you have a great system and you should leave this site and never come back!
icon10.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 6
Yeah, seriously. You have a good amp right now. You'd likely have to spend more than the Portal Panache itself to get better sound from a dedicated headphone amp.

Apr 17, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 6
Well it has been a few days with my new Sennheiser hd650s and Cardas headphone cable...

All I can say is that I am amazed. I love the 650s so much better than the 580s that I am finding it hard to listen to my speakers now. The panache can really rock these headphones, listening to Radiohead is ridiculously good. I think the Cardas is also a great upgrade; it is like a new headphone. I thought the 650s to be just a bit laid back, but not in a bad way... The Cardas brought some kind of sparkle out and I really enjoy it. I am not very good in describing these sorts of things, I just know what I hear and enjoy.

I really wish all of you could hear these headphones on the portal audio panache. I can’t imagine an amp sounding better than this for anywhere close to the money. It feels like the panache just grabs these cans and is in total control, its strange hearing such a hard to drive headphone feel so effortless on the Panache.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back