Portables (q-Jays) expose more detail than my home setup (DT880) :(
Aug 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Psy-Blade

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

This is kind of a cross-forum post but I've put it in the full size forums as thats where (I think) the problem lays...

So I've bought some new gear these past few months and one thing I notice is that my q-Jays expose more detail than my DT-880 Pro's at a similar volume. Is this something to be expected? Are Balanced Armatures really that much better? if not where is the best place to look for problems with my home setup.

This is my setup at the moment:

Portable:

Sansa Clip+ (Flac) > q-Jays

Home:

Flac (44.1/16) > Foobar > Windows 7 mixer (44.1/24)  > Xonar Essence STX (44.1/2, using headphone jack on High gain output (+12dB for ~64-300ohms)) > DT880 Pro's > Ears :)

So, is there something wrong here, or are the q-Jays just that good? 

Thanks to all that help :)

Psy.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 10
I think this is to be expected - I experienced something similar back when I had the DT880 and Ety ER4P in my possession. Some BA headphones can be truly outstanding when it comes to detail retrieval - this, along with raw speed, is the area in which they excel the most, and it can be hard for all but the best large dynamic drivers to match them.

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 10
i have to listen to these q-jays 
smile.gif

the sansa is also particularly good for a dap, but it doesn't hold up to my xonar d2 sound quality. i doubt it's going to outperform the essence stx either. so it's probably all q-jays that is sounding better than the home setup...

those are good iems you have there!

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 10
I've owned the q-Jays. Detailed is the last way I'd have described them. They sounded fairly bloated in the mids and mid bass with rather average treble response. Compared to my HD600 they sounded pretty terrible considering they are in a similar price range.

Aug 17, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
well, have you ever try your beyer at another set up? maybe at local headphone shop or something like that?

I'll definitely try that, thanks for the idea.

Quote:
I've owned the q-Jays. Detailed is the last way I'd have described them. They sounded fairly bloated in the mids and mid bass with rather average treble response. Compared to my HD600 they sounded pretty terrible considering they are in a similar price range.

Well at the moment I find them to be more detailed than my 595's or DT880's. There are things I just can't hear on anything else I have. 

Aug 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:

HD600 is very nice, no doubt nicer than the q-jays. But bloated mids is the last way I'll describe the q-jays. 

The qjays is no slouch detailwise for a $150 IEM, but DT880 out of proper/synergistic setup should have plenty of details. Maybe, you want to try the DT880 out of another setup as themiddlesky suggested. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back