Portable warm headphones that don't need an amp
Jul 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

maymur8

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new pair of headphones for on the move use, that are a little warm, but not bass heavy, and a wide soundstage. (I listen to a mix of hip-hop/rap and classical). Preferably they shouldn't need an amp to sound great.

If it helps, I've previously owned some Pioneer HDJ-2000's and loved the SQ, but they weren't portable enough for me.
In terms of price range, skies the limit as long as they sound as well as the Pioneers or if they sound better.

I've found some good stuff on the Ultrasone Edition 8's, but worry that I'm paying more for materials that actual sound quality, I'm also worried by the mixtures of love and hate reviews of it.

At this point I'm kinda stumped on what to do, any help would really help me out...

Thanks in advance!

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the reply...
Price seems good, went and tried the momentums but they didn't have enough detail, or a nice enough midrange to me..

I've read some good things about the Shure SRH 940's... Any idea about them?

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 16
Might want to give the Beyerdynamic DT1350s a listen if you can. Here's a review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/awesome-beyerdynamic-dt-1350. Very good for portability, easy to drive. Good bass extension. And slightly warm.

There is a revised version being released of the DT1350 with slightly bigger earpads and a modification to the headband. Some discussion of this recently in the DT1350 thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/533508/new-beyer-dt1350

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
Thanks for the reply...
Price seems good, went and tried the momentums but they didn't have enough detail, or a nice enough midrange to me..

I've read some good things about the Shure SRH 940's... Any idea about them?

Mementums have a great mid-range to my ears, but I do agree the details in the high-end might be a bit too recessed for some. 
I don't know much about the Shure SRH 940, sorry. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 16
None of the headphones mentioned here are "warm" if that's really what you're looking for. And Shure 940 is definitely on the colder side of things. If you want a really warm headphone, try the Sony 1R. It scales well with an amp but is designed to be used straight out of your phone. Very good soundstage for a closed headphone too.

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
None of the headphones mentioned here are "warm" if that's really what you're looking for. And Shure 940 is definitely on the colder side of things. If you want a really warm headphone, try the Sony 1R. It scales well with an amp but is designed to be used straight out of your phone. Very good soundstage for a closed headphone too.

I agree, the MDR-1R are a good choice for portable, they actually stay on my head, and it is big...

Another option for a warm headphone are the Audio-Technica ESW9s. Wood cups, lambskin earpads, very quality. They are on ear, so not sure if you mind that but very comfortable and in the same price range as the MDR-1R. They don't really need an amp either, but scale nicely.  

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 16
I like the ESW-9's. but they seem a little delicate to me, and the cables are so thin it worries me that I might break them...
If I'm honest, I always stayed away from Sony for some reason, but I'll give them a try...

Do any of you know where I could find a DT 1350 to try?

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
I like the ESW-9's. but they seem a little delicate to me, and the cables are so thin it worries me that I might break them...
If I'm honest, I always stayed away from Sony for some reason, but I'll give them a try...

Do any of you know where I could find a DT 1350 to try?

You need to give your location in your profile, or post it. Nobody knows where you are located on this planet. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #14 of 16
You can buy from Amazon and RMA them if you don't like them. As long as you buy directly from Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon (not 3rd party sellers who do their own shipping), returning is easy and not too expensive (generally around $10 for shipping or so in my experience, a reasonable "demo" fee). Just keep the headphones and the packaging in mint condition.

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 16
In response to your original intention to by an Edition 8, I have one with a Whiplash TWag 2 cable. Personally I love this headphone, especially for Bass presence. They're portable, don't need an amp, and sound twice as good as my Beyer T1's. It's one of the most underraated headphones on Head-Fi. However they are pricey compared to most of the replies you've gotten in this thread.

Another option is the ATH-ESW9a, which is much cheaper, and still has the same characteristics youre looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back