Portable vs Small Desktop dac/amps
Jul 14, 2008 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

URZS

Head-Fier
i do a lot of reading and cannot find much information on this topic.

I am on the hunt for a small footprint dac/amp for office use.
Current thoughts are the

Corda 2move
Go-Vibe Petite
Travagan's white
maybe the Nuforce icon

it really does not matter to me if it is portable or not but i can find no opinion if the step from portable to small desktop is a significant one.

any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by URZS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i do a lot of reading and cannot find much information on this topic.

Surprising, there was an even a monster of utter disappointment with people choosing portable amps for desktop use.

So ya, pick something that use the wallwart. Also, keep in mind, many amps can be put on their side (if they are not tubed) in order to help reduce the footprint.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 8
you might want to look at the Fubar III, or if you afford them, a combination of the firestone range. they are quite small, seem to be well liked here.

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 8
can you not run the 2move with a wall wart? i just assumed that you could so i didn't really take that into consideration but if you cant i guess its small desktop all the way.

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 8
I've got the White and like it rather a good deal. No portables to compare it to, though.

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by URZS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you not run the 2move with a wall wart? i just assumed that you could so i didn't really take that into consideration but if you cant i guess its small desktop all the way.

You just have to realize that 2move is optimized for batteries (longer life and such), and the wall wart would just replace the battery there. Desktop amps are not conservative about power and thus swing it around however they need to in order to have better sound quality.

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 8
Portable amps have come quite a ways since I joined Head-Fi, but a good home based amp is a better solution for sound quality unless portability is an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back