Portable vs Full size Amps
Jan 22, 2016 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Law87

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm curious to see why some people insist on owning a desktop amp rather than a portable amp even though the portable amp can drive their cans easily. :/

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 4
Why do some people drive large cars when a compact can get them to their destination easily?

Why do some people get a hamburger when a veggie burger will fill them up just as easily?

Why do some people read the book when they can watch the movie just as easily?

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 4
  Why do some people drive large cars when a compact can get them to their destination easily?

Why do some people get a hamburger when a veggie burger will fill them up just as easily?

thanks for answering a question with more questions...I understand there are personal taste but I am sure there is more to it then just...taste.

Jan 23, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 4

thanks for answering a question with more questions...I understand there are personal taste but I am sure there is more to it then just...taste.

Except for extremely efficient headphones/IEMs/earbuds, a portable amp will always suffer with compromises on the power supply: voltage, current, overall control of the headphone drivers through sophisticated circuits or huge amounts of headroom.  Lack of voltage may be readily apparent when clipping occurs, but not always on the peaks and transients.  Lack of current may go unnoticed entirely.  IOW, "even though the portable amp can drive their cans easily" may be misleading - you may not even know that the cans are not being driven sufficiently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back