Portable, Unamped Basshead Phones?
Nov 6, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #16 of 50
The only durability issue I'm aware of is their poorly-designed headband, which will start to show minor cracks next to two screws on either side of the headband; although it doesn't cause the headband to break, it is rather annoying. Apparently loosening the screws solves or aids this issue. These issues also occur with the new Beyerdynamic series of headphones. Despite this, I don't find these headphones to be easily breakable, although it appears that the HD25 would be even more durable.

Nov 6, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #17 of 50
I think I'm destined to live with SR-60's forever... I just took some time to rethink all my priorities financially, and right now isn't the right time for a new pair of phones. I got ~$300 going out next week on an electric bass and effects box/amp, so maybe next month. Maybe then my pockets will grow and I'll be looking at a DT770/amp combo, who knows. Thanks for all the info from everyone, and to Redvsion and rnd, good luck selling your headphones.

Nov 7, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
I think I'm destined to live with SR-60's forever...

Hey, don't sweat it. You could do a lot worse than SR-60s. It's only around the 17,000 maniacs at HeadFi where they're near the bottom of the list. To the rest of the world they're high end.

Nov 7, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #19 of 50
A set of cans that nicely falls into the category of 'portable, closed, good bass and high sensitivity' are the HD25's.

(I noticed today that George Michael wears a pair in his latest video...)

Nov 7, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #20 of 50
Sennheiser HD 590 (don't shoot me!
blink.gif
) They are...portable... ^_^

Nov 7, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

Ideally, I'd be getting Beyer DT770's, but since the overall consensus seems to be that they aren't worth it without an amp, I'm forced to pass on them. I don't care too much about size (my only complaint about the Grado's is their construction quality is not good enough for portable use), so I'd take anything short of a pair of those monster CD3K's. I'm basically looking to strap two subwoofers onto my head, except a bit smaller and more realistic.

Edit: I'd also like to add that I don't have any problems with canalphones, if they're the best sounding in this price range. I was more than happy with Sony EX51's, until I paired them up with a good source...

Audition the DT770's when you get down to Guitar Center. They aren't horrible without an amp, they just aren't anywhere near their potential.

Nov 7, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
Audition the DT770's when you get down to Guitar Center. They aren't horrible without an amp, they just aren't anywhere near their potential.

Aww, why'd you have to go and say that? That's exactly what I'm not supposed to be reading right now. I'm gonna be at a store that sells what seem to be my holy grail (Grado PS1's, I think, seem to be orgasmic, but too expensive for my tastes), and it just so happens that the said store negotiates prices pretty easily, and I'm gonna have quite a bit of leverage by already spending so much money...

Dedalus, my wallet hates you.
tongue.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #23 of 50
Whatever you do, don't put on the PS-1's, you will never sleep, nor eat, nor breath, till you can buy them, you won't be able to afford anything unnecessary
smily_headphones1.gif
Honestly, with just the DAP, there won't be an enormous difference between the DT770's and PS-1's.

Nov 7, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #24 of 50
If you want something bassy but still fairly decent for a low price, you could try out the HD202 which I listened to a while when shopping for cds. Hardly the most high-end phone I've ever heard, but for cheap portable use with big bass they might work. At least they're closed unlike SR60 which I would personally find awful for portable use in somewhat noisy environments.

Nov 7, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
Whatever you do, don't put on the PS-1's, you will never sleep, nor eat, nor breath, till you can buy them, you won't be able to afford anything unnecessary
smily_headphones1.gif

Right now, I vow to never go to a Head-Fi meet. Ever. If I did, I'd be homeless, wearing clothes that hadn't been washed in a month, dirt crusted on my face, but my ears perfectly cleaned and shiny PS-1's on my head.

I just spent $100 on a killer sale for a guitar amp head, so now I know that if I test out headphones at Guitar Center it'll be purely for future reference. I think I'm gonna steer clear of the DT770's, since I know that I won't be getting an amp anytime soon, and I'd rather maximize the sound unamped rather than know that I could be hearing a significant difference with just one more purchase...

Nov 7, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Right now, I vow to never go to a Head-Fi meet. Ever. If I did, I'd be homeless, wearing clothes that hadn't been washed in a month, dirt crusted on my face, but my ears perfectly cleaned and shiny PS-1's on my head.

I just spent $100 on a killer sale for a guitar amp head, so now I know that if I test out headphones at Guitar Center it'll be purely for future reference. I think I'm gonna steer clear of the DT770's, since I know that I won't be getting an amp anytime soon, and I'd rather maximize the sound unamped rather than know that I could be hearing a significant difference with just one more purchase...

You, my friend, have far more self control than I. I recommend you stick to your resolve, and avoid all headphones that improve with future upgrades.
I've spent $1500 in the last two months, that's 10% of my annual income.
It is fun, though.

Nov 7, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #28 of 50
Externally imposed self control
smily_headphones1.gif

I was perfectly happy with my SR-80's until I heard the PS-1's. Gah!
Back on track, you might just want to audition whatever guitar center has and find one you can live with.

Dec 1, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #29 of 50
Well, to bump up an old thread, I got the okay to get a pair of headphones for Christmas, up to $200. I was looking at some specs online, and the Ultrasone's don't seem any more portable-friendly than the Beyer DT770's. If this is right, I'm gonna grab my Zen Xtra and head down to Guitar Center as soon as possible to check out the DT770's and HD25's.

Another question: between the HFI-700/650 DVD, DT770 and HD25, which one has the lowest lows? I've been playing a 5-string bass with Grado SR-60's and there's quite a bit of distortion on the lower notes.

Dec 1, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #30 of 50
Westone IEMs... they have lots and lots of bass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back