Portable tube headphone
Mar 5, 2012 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Berk59

Aka: madmax2011
Aka: Ian Berkoff
Hello

Can anybody recommend a tube portable amp. I am considering the Alo continental but at $480.00 Its expensive. I have seen a tube amp on ebay, a mus tv- 10 which uses the 611 tube for only gbp 74.00 which is around $100.00. I am using B&O earphones. On another subject, I just bought an imod yesterday. Sounds superb and blows away my Ipod Classic.

Thank you

Regards

Ian

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 5
Continental uses tubes?
I've heard of the TTVJ Portable Millet Hybrid and GoVibe PortaTube, but that's all I know of for portable tube amps.

Why does it have to be tubes?

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 5
ALO Continental is one of the the best portable headphone amps out there, if not the best.
If you want a Tube portable amp go for it.
if you want and SS amp with "tube like" sound I suggest you go for the TTVJ Slim.

Cheers

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 5
I know I'm a complete noobie here at the forums, but I do have experience with vacuum tubes given I've played guitar professionally and can't stand using solid state amps so I know how you feel.  However I would caution the use of vacuum tubes for a portable amp considering vacuum tubes are about as fragile as lightbulbs and get really hot (at least most have these 2 characteristics).  While I can't recommend you a good portable amp (that's why I'm here too), I would suggest not going with tubes as their fragility can easily defeat the purpose of portability.

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 5
^ I upvote the above comment for truth!

Anyway when it comes to headphone amps, it's hard to go by assumptions that SS will sound "cold" or that tubes will sound "warm". I guess tubes add even order harmonic distortion and it's hard to run away from that, but it's not a given that every tube amp will sound a particular way. 
And when it comes to SS, that kind of assumption holds even less water. It comes down to how the amp was designed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back