Portable/Transportable amp for DT880
Mar 19, 2006 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dk123

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I'm going AirportExpress->Dialogue II DAC/Sherwood Newcastle 980T CDP->Pioneer Integrated amp->DT880. I would like to get a headamp, and I'm sort of torn between a few options. While I would consider a home amp (Gilmore Lite/M^3...) I am thinking it would be nice to have something portable, as long as it is not going to be a big tradeoff in terms of sound quality. I am thinking either Headroom Micro, or AE-1, once it is updated...I like the crossfeed possibility of the Micro, but the loopout & integrated battery/ergonomics of the AE-1 is nice too. I also have a pair of SR60s that I would be using, and UM2s, which I can't use with the Pioneer because of hiss/hum, and generally poor bloated sound. So, I'm looking for something that would match well with the DT880, but would also be good with the UM2s. I'd like to keep this under around $350, new or used. Thoughts?

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 4
$350 has Xin Supermacro written all over it
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 4
You can't go wrong with the AE-1. It's a top-notch piece that works well in both portable and home amplifier roles. It would match up just fine with the Beyers IMO. Unfortunately it seems to be a bit underappreciated here.

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 4
seems like all good choices.. i went with the micro amp with my dt880s with hopes of adding on the micro dac later on. crossfeed isn't really my thing but i heard nice things about micro stack synergy and that clinched it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back