Portable T1 - Brilliant, or spells trouble?
Oct 31, 2011 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

VictorHalgaard

WARNING: BAD TRADER
Also known as HeadphoneViking.
Hi, I'm looking for a headphone for school/commuting use, and seeing the full metal construction of the T1 made me wonder if that might be my savior? My big worry is how much sound it leaks, because i don't like irritating people around me (I't pisses me off when others use open cans in public or school) and if i listen to music while reading in class fx. or at my examns i wouldn't want them to leak. I've thought about the T70, but I've just gotten to the conclusion that i might aswell kill off "upgrad-ingitis" before it even starts, and I've head some pretty horrid stuff about the T5p so thats out of the game it seems.
Does anyone have some experience with the leakage of the T1 at a reasonable volume (I usually listen at between 70-80dB as far as i can measure).

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 16
Terrible idea really. The T1 leaks a lot, is pretty heavy and needs an amp. Not to mention it costs $1300...who would want to lug a $1300 headphone around where it will be scratched up and potentially stolen?

Oct 31, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 16
I wouldn't go with the T1. More than leakage out annoying those around you, the leakage IN from the world around you will keep you from escaping and enjoying your music.

As a T1 owner, I fully intend to also purchase a T70 for portable/office use.

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 16
It'd be a great idea if you'd also like to carry a Zana Deux with you to school. Sorry bud, it's just not practical and it'll probably be too revealing of an portable player DAC to sound good.

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
Terrible idea really. The T1 leaks a lot, is pretty heavy and needs an amp. Not to mention it costs $1300...who would want to lug a $1300 headphone around where it will be scratched up and potentially stolen?

Somehow I doubt most of the clueless people out there would want to steal the T1s. 
tongue_smile.gif
  It's beautiful in the industrial way but pretty unassuming headphones for people who don't know better.  

Either way like everyone had said it's a bad idea.  While efficient for an 600ohm full size headphones you can't drive these unless you have some serious portable amping (tried it with my UH4 just for fun, didn't work out, couldn't event get decent volume let alone the sound that it is suppose to make), the cable is also pretty heavy and long for portable use.  It's also semi-open so it leaks sound/let sound come in.  All in all the T1 just aren't designed for portable usage so look for something else that's actually designed for portable use.

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 16
I have a PB2 + DB2 for portable balance amping, it has 2700mw of power in its current configuration and can drive even a HE6 too loud to be healthy, so thats not the problem (and ofcourse it'll make 'em sound good too at normal volume). And i am insanely careful with my gear so im not afraid of lugging that sort of can around, in fact i've used my D7000 with piano-black high gloss ebony cups a couple of times - not a scratch :)
So really, the only factor that matter is leakage, but it sounds like its bad...As far as i remember it is far from as bad as say, a grado or a sennheiser hd650 - but still too much eh? Guess I'll have to settle for something different. I'd really like to hear the T5p myself to know if its better than the T70, but they seem pretty rare...Hmm...What to do...

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 16
how about the t5p? They sounded VERY similar to the t1's doing a side by side with the same song,amp,and source.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #9 of 16
Yea, but its a pain in the arse to use, because i have to fiddle with it all the time to get a decent seal, if i dont it sounds like two tin cans on a string...

I wish i could audition a t5p, because some say it utter crap and others say it sounds just like the T1

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #10 of 16
^X2. The DT1350 would be PERFECT for your use. It has great isolation, so you won't annoy others/destroy your hearing while listening to music. It has a small form factor, is very durable, and it probably even sounds better than a T1 would from a portable setup. The T1 really needs a good home setup to make it worth it's price tag. Using an open flagship headphone while commuting is just nuts.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #11 of 16
Hey, I recommend you check out the Sony Z1000. They should be pretty similiar in sound FWIR, as in balanced and detailed, with just a little tipped up treble for some sparkle, well placed headstage with a good depth and imaging and a tight, punchy bass with good extention. They're were very comfortable for me, fully circamaural but in a snug and cozy kind of way. Very efficient as well, i havn't tried them with an amp but my Cowon S9 was more than enough volume to keep me going. 

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
^X2. The DT1350 would be PERFECT for your use. It has great isolation, so you won't annoy others/destroy your hearing while listening to music. It has a small form factor, is very durable, and it probably even sounds better than a T1 would from a portable setup. The T1 really needs a good home setup to make it worth it's price tag. Using an open flagship headphone while commuting is just nuts.

As mentioned, i don't get along with the DT1350 very well, it annoys the hell out of me because its so fiddly, i cant just pop it on my head and get going. And again, amping is not a problem - I've tried the headphones with my amp from SE and it sounded great, so balanced should be even better. I know I'd like the sound of the T1, i just wasnt certain if it would do for public use. I think i almost need to try actually using them in a noisy/dead silent are to be able to determine if i want them - might just get a pair, try, and sell them if it doesn't work... 

Quote:
Hey, I recommend you check out the Sony Z1000. They should be pretty similiar in sound FWIR, as in balanced and detailed, with just a little tipped up treble for some sparkle, well placed headstage with a good depth and imaging and a tight, punchy bass with good extention. They're were very comfortable for me, fully circamaural but in a snug and cozy kind of way. Very efficient as well, i havn't tried them with an amp but my Cowon S9 was more than enough volume to keep me going. 

Thing is, for portable use, i agree they sound pretty decent, but to be honest i think they look/sound pretty dull (no offence) and with my long hair it makes it look like i'm wearing a hairband or something, so i look pretty rediculous, not something it want to show off in public. :p 

In sound I'm usually camped in the extremes, my two favourite cans atm is a Denon AH-D7000 with custom ebony cups to satisfy my bass needs, and a par o' custom woodied HF2s for my treble rock needs...This is mostly because many of the headphones headfiers usually call neutral and balanced is what i usually call plain, boring, dull and not very engaging or musical...

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #13 of 16
Nov 1, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
As mentioned, i don't get along with the DT1350 very well, it annoys the hell out of me because its so fiddly, i cant just pop it on my head and get going.

X2. I went on audition for DT1350 and I have to say the seal is pretty difficult to obtain. And it sound a bit thin during my hearing session, maybe I have not got a perfect seal at all - that was fine because I was listening to classical, which gives an accurate sense. But again human is adaptive - I would say once you get a good seal, it will be easier next time - and after a week or 2 of constant listening you should be able to get it in like split seconds.

OR, just crank up the volume! Share those Music love!!

If you like Denon 7000 then I would say go try out some of the AT wooden cans, you will absolutely love them, and they are considered among the "best portable on ear" you can have couple years back. Even now I think. Only thing is they are close, and will not sound anything like T1 (I'm guessing, but its very different from D1350 from my experience).

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 16
I've tried, even after a month it still annoyed me, because you may get better at getting the seal, but then you jump, walk, smile, scratch your ear og show sign of being alive, and woops - there goes the seal and the bass. And the only thing youll obtain by cranking the volume is damaged ears and a very loud tin-can sound...
I have a love/hate relationship to AT, i love the wood, the sound it ok, the build is crap - or...Its decent, but compared to a all metal beyer, or a magnesium denon, 500$ for a plasticky, fake leather flappy pad headphone seems a lot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back