Portable spectrum analyzer?
Jul 12, 2015 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

groovyd

Headphoneus Supremus
I just installed a new sub amp and sub in my car and would like to dial it in to help flatten and extend the low end without adding uneven boom.  What I would like is a small portable device (or app?) that just shows the frequency graph accurately while I play white noise and make the adjustment to assure the bass is still flat and the crossover is set right.  Any ideas?  I only have a 4th gen ipodTouch, no iPhone also assuming it would need a decent microphone?  Maybe someone on here has a small device like this they could lend me for a week?  Once it is set I would just write it down incase I need to re-adjust it later.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 10
Octave RTA is a great, cheap iPod/iPad app for around $5 which utilizes the built in mic. Check the App Store. Burn a CD with white noise (I'm sure a search will locate some free download file).

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 10
Just got the mic and it works way better then the internal mic... only issue is the background noise is tremendous around here showing a huge bump on the spectrum.  wish there was a way to subtract that off.  I am using AudioTools, perhaps some other app is better?

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 10
would be nice if while listening you could hit a 'compensate' button and it would subtract off the average spectrum leading up to that moment, maintaining that as the 'background noise' until you hit it again.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Installed Octave RTA and it is way way better then Audio Tools, much much faster real time spectrum and more accurate frequency separation across the spectrum, higher resolution.  Audio Tools was unuseable in comparison, just too slow and low res.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back