Portable Speakers for Travel?
Jul 20, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #16 of 30
I highly recommended skipping over the consumer brands mentioned in your list and looking at pro-audio monitors. I have a pair of Genelec 8020As on my desk right now, and they are quite amazing compared to all of the various PC-type speakers I have tried over the years. They are a bit more expensive, but the quality compares to higher-end audiophile equipment. A mini-to-XLRs cable will be needed, but that is easily acquired.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/8020A/

I think you will be amazed.

PS: I selected these as they are very compact, and while not light weight, can be transported around when needed. The casework is abuse-resistant aluminum.

Jul 20, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #17 of 30
I can't imagine getting the Genelec monitors to fit in my luggage...aren't they a little on the big size? I definitely am looking for contenders in the "portable" range -- not transportable.

I travel a lot for work, so these speakers would be used in hotel rooms, sibiling's basements, etc. They don't need to be ultra loud -- so long as they sould very good and would fit in my carryon!

Thanks...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregeas
I highly recommended skipping over the consumer brands mentioned in your list and looking at pro-audio monitors. I have a pair of Genelec 8020As on my desk right now, and they are quite amazing compared to all of the various PC-type speakers I have tried over the years. They are a bit more expensive, but the quality compares to higher-end audiophile equipment. A mini-to-XLRs cable will be needed, but that is easily acquired.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/8020A/

I think you will be amazed.

PS: I selected these as they are very compact, and while not light weight, can be transported around when needed. The casework is abuse-resistant aluminum.

Jul 20, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #18 of 30
Has anyone heard the boomtubes? I doubt that they're the latest in audiophile-quality sound, but the tube splits off into left and right speakers, and they have a "subwoofer" tube in the middle.

It looks way cool, but I doubt its sound quality and I have no way to test it out in a store...

Jul 21, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_guy
Has anyone heard the boomtubes? I doubt that they're the latest in audiophile-quality sound, but the tube splits off into left and right speakers, and they have a "subwoofer" tube in the middle.

It looks way cool, but I doubt its sound quality and I have no way to test it out in a store...

I got the better of the 2 Virgin-branded models on closeout for about $40. This is the one with the longer central tube containing what they called a subwoofer and a rechargeable battery. At the time, it was clear that this was superior to the cheaper model (which lacked bass and the internal rechargeable battery).

For under $100, it was a steal. For twice that, there are probably better choices, depending on what you're doing with it. If I was using it locally, I'd get something else with larger/better speakers. But for travel by plane, you can't easily lug something bigger. I think it's great for putting in your airplane bag and playing music in the hotel room. Of course, it's not near audiophile quality, but its sound was a *very* pleasant surprise to me. It sounds bigger than it looked (I use it with a 5G iPod).

Two tricks:

1. Placement of the central tube viz. the wall affects the low-end.

2. It has 1 vol control for the stereo end pieces and another vol control for the bass module. Oddly enough, the bass volume control turns backwards from what you'd expect. So, at first I had the bass all the way down. When I figured this out (by accident) and turned it up, I was amazed at the sound this thing pumped out.

All in all, I think it's a great little thing. You just need to keep in mind what it is and what it isn't.

Jul 21, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #20 of 30
dc_guy,

I guess you should also take a look at the Saitek A-250. I haven't listened to it but I am seriously considering it for one main reason. Its wireless compatibility.

The reviews here seem very positive. Plus, I read that you can still connect it to your ipod/media player through a mini cable and it comes with its wireless dongle and works with any music software player.

But again, I haven't listened to it, I am just looking for a portable speakers exactly like you...

Jul 21, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #21 of 30
I've narrowed the list down to the Boomtube H201 and the Saitek A-200.

Advantages: Boomtube = louder, 40 watts of digital power, ability to move the two speakers apart to create a larger soundstage. Built-in lithium battery. Heavier than the Saitek.

Saitek = more refined sound, better bass. Batteries are user-replacable (triple AAAs)

Hmmmm...

Jul 21, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #23 of 30
Because the A-250 has no built-in subwoofer/bass enhancer. The A-200 does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolos
Why aren't you considering the Saitek A-250? It should be the same + the ability to use it wireless. I like the idea that you can still connected throuh a mini cable to any of your media player.

Jul 24, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #24 of 30
I had a chance to hear the Saitek A-200 over the past weekend, and was pretty impressed by it. The sound was nicely balanced, and while the bass was nowhere near subwoofer-quality/quantity, it was definitely more present than with my existing Altec Lansing im-1.

Now if only I could find a store to test out the Boomtube...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back