Portable speaker as big as possible
May 24, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #16 of 27
So guys i have made a top 3: Bose Soundlink Mini, Nyne Bass or the Big blue indoor-outdoor speaker? Which one should i pick and why? I am not sure about the Bose Soundlink because i don't think it will be loud enough..

We use the Soundlink Mini at my friend's house when we're grilling. For one, it beats hauling his studio monitors down from the second floor (unlike my other friend's home which is a building close to downtown and his office is on the roofdeck grilling level). The sound is loud enough, and there is enough "kick" to the percussion when we have it on the table with all of us seated around it (firing up), but in no way does it sound good at over 3meters. At around 2m though I'm doing air-drums with the tongs and stoker while waiting to turn/flip the meat.

Also, if my friend didn't get it at a discount that put it just under $300 VAT included and you really need something compact, I'd totally say get something else. it's marginally better than a bunch of other BT speakers we tried, but not $150 to $200 better, for me anyway. If I come across a used unit cheap or if my friend in the Bose distro puts it on half off sale at some point (and actually remembers to inform me, because he knows my gear and keeps putting me in the "hates Bose pile") I'd get one in black.

May 25, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #17 of 27
+1

The Bose is just expensive. I listened to a lot in the $100 to $150 price range here, and I really didn't feel like the Bose Mini Soundlink was better than the one's I liked in that range.

That Big Blue Party does get pretty loud, but I don't remember what kind of bass it had; I had already bought a bluetooth speaker and was just listening to it for fun one day at a store. It has a 5.5" subwoofer, which is far bigger than most of the portable bluetooth speakers have.

May 25, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #18 of 27
If I come across a used unit cheap or if my friend in the Bose distro puts it on half off sale at some point (and actually remembers to inform me, because he knows my gear and keeps putting me in the "hates Bose pile") I'd get one in black.

I just got lucky and caught the TDK A33 on sale on Woot for $65 shipped this weekend, and it's pretty comparable in SQ to the Mini Soundlink. Almost all of the $150 to $200 bluetooth speakers I've heard really should be selling for under $100. It's silly how much they cost for what you get. In fact, one of the best values I found was the Sharkk Boombox. It was right up there with most of the speakers in the ~ $100 range.

So I'm still waiting to hear that ~$200, compact portable bluetooth speaker which I think is actually worth $200.

May 25, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #19 of 27
Oh, and I should say I wasn't talking about the Big Blue Party speaker in that criticism I just made about <$200 speakers. It's not compact portable. Definitely more like the boomboxes of old in size.

May 25, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #20 of 27
I just got lucky and caught the TDK A33 on sale on Woot for $65 shipped this weekend, and it's pretty comparable in SQ to the Mini Soundlink. Almost all of the $150 to $200 bluetooth speakers I've heard really should be selling for under $100. It's silly how much they cost for what you get. In fact, one of the best values I found was the Sharkk Boombox. It was right up there with most of the speakers in the ~ $100 range.

So I'm still waiting to hear that ~$200, compact portable bluetooth speaker which I think is actually worth $200.

Just checked Amazon - even for $179 I wouldn't buy the Mini considering I'd still have to spend on shipping. If all I was going to spend was (like if I can get it locally for the equivalent of) $150 I'd consider it, but the regular price is a whopping $320. I'd rather just get the Trek Max for that kind of dough (is that the same as the A33?). That's the price now - when it was new it was more like $370.

I personally think the only way to get $200's worth is to just DIY the thing. 3D print an enclosure, maybe use wood on the baffle side, for two 3in FR speakers, with proviions for a metal plate somewhere to mount the T-amp board and BT receiver, plus a battery bank. It won't fit in a bag but it's still a one-piece ghetto blaster that's still easier to lug around vs two studio monitors (I mean, maybe the real reason why we like the Soundlink Mini is because we no longer had to help him haul the studio monitors back up after downing a case of beer and several steaks).

May 25, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #21 of 27
Just checked Amazon - even for $179 I wouldn't buy the Mini considering I'd still have to spend on shipping. If all I was going to spend was (like if I can get it locally for the equivalent of) $150 I'd consider it, but the regular price is a whopping $320. I'd rather just get the Trek Max for that kind of dough (is that the same as the A33?). That's the price now - when it was new it was more like $370.

I think the A34 is the upgrade to the A33. Soundwise, they are supposed to be pretty similar if not the same.

May 25, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #24 of 27
So you think that i should get the Trek Max 34? I can't find any specifications on it, I just wan't to know how loud it can play in watt. Why don't they write that down on the specs?

Watts as in amplifier output isn't all that determines the loudness, there's also the sensitivity and efficiency of the drivers. A 95dB driver getting 10watts will still be louder than an 85dB driver getting 20watts for example.

Besides these are all battery powered, if any of them was making upwards of 15watts even with a Class D amp and you start playing while salting the steaks, the battery would need to be huge just so it lasts until after you've finished the beer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back