Portable Source: N900 (Critical Analysis Help Wanted)
May 4, 2010 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

SHADYMILKMAN

100+ Head-Fier
OK, sue me i need to bring this source back from the dead. I have an, N900 (all opinions about its merits as a smartphone aside) and wanted to quantify the device as a source for my hifi portable setup (N9oo>PROTECTOR>JH16). I will try to limit this to FLAC/AAC/320 audio files as they directly pertain to my situation.

I did a bit of research to find that the headphone amp in the N900 is the:TI TPA6130A2: Audio Amplifiers - Headphone Amplifiers - TPA6130A2 - TI.com

TPA6130A2
Headphone Channels: Stereo
Output Power(W): 0.138
Load(Min)(ohms): 16
Supply(V): 2.5 - 5.5
Half Power THD + N @ 1 kHz (%)(kHz): 0.008
Iq per channel(Typ)(mA): 2
ISD(uA): 1
PSRR(dB): 109
Additional Features: I2C Volume Control
Operating Temperature Range(°C): -40 to 85
Pin/Package: 16DSBGA, 20QFN

there was a thread in the DIY forums about this very headphone amp, but never materialized in any meaningful way. my question would be how would i be able to compare the N900 Headphone amp to the TI (op-amp) chip OPA627 (BurrBrown) Precision Amplifier - Low Offset Voltage - OPA627 - TI.com

OPA627
Number of Channels: 1
Total Supply Voltage (V)(Min)(+5V=5, +/-5V=10): 9
Total Supply Voltage (V)(Max)(+5V=5, +/-5V=10): 36
Iq per channel(Max)(mA): 7.5
GBW(Typ)(MHz): 16
Slew Rate(Typ)(V/us): 55
VIO (25 deg C)(Max)(mV): 0.25
Offset Drift(Typ)(uV/C): 1.2
IIB(Max)(pA): 10
CMRR(Min)(dB): 100
Vn at 1kHz(Typ)(nV/rtHz): 5.6
Rating: Catalog
Pin/Package: 8PDIP, 8SOIC
Operating Temperature Range(°C): -25 to 85

I do understand that one is a headphone amp, and the other is a op-amp, but there is no op-amp in the N900, and seeing as how the OPA627 is "THE" op-amp of the moment, I would like to know how.if you guys would compare the units. I dont know that anyone would just be able to compare using just the numbers most of which dont overlap :sad: but how could one find out about the quality of the headphone amp? Ideally id like to know how it stacks up to the BB unit. I do plan on using a protector along side of my N900 so its not necessarily about the internal amp, but the processing of the audio. the device supports every audio codec ive thrown at it, but doesnt necessarily mean that its playing the audio up to its encoding. I would like to also know what chip the iphone 3gs uses, i cant find it anywhere. just an iSupply breakdown which didnt yeild the model of the chips used. i would also like to know how it compares to the 6130A2. I have only used the stock buds so far with the N900, mind you. however the quality is FAR better than the stereo speakers (i should hope). any help with this is appreciated thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back