portable source gear reccomendation?
Mar 22, 2017 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

maddangerous

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking into some source gear that i can have on the go with me. Right now, I use my smartphone (LG G5, google play music player (Subscribed to google play music as well, main reason why I still use it)). I want something dedicated to audio now, rather than using my phone, but I'm not interested in an iPod. I've seen the Fiio devices, they seem pretty nice (x3 and x5 in particular, very nice). I've also seen colorfly and another one that I cannot remember the name of currently.

The problem right now, is that beyond price range, type of music, what I'll use it for, and headphones, I'm not sure what else I need to think about (or provide here) to get a good suggestion. As for that information however:

Headphones - Thinksound TS-02+mic, more sets to come in the future
Music type - A little bit of everything, sorry for vagueness. mainly electronic right now, with some rock/metal.
Price range - not too sure. I'm looking for something decent, so maybe ~$200? not set in stone on this, purchase won't be made for a little bit. I guess I'm looking for a decent starter device into the world of portable hi-fi music?
Use - I'll use it with my headphones in general, but also in the car. Bluetooth isn't a must have, I don't mind using the aux cable. Expandable storage is a must have for me. In terms of other features, I'm not sure.

There really just seems to be so many options that I don't know where to start looking, so I would really appreciate some guidance.

Also, some of these music players have wifi capability, and are based on android. What is the benefit to that, other than trying different music apps? I've been thinking about setting up a music server to stream some music from when I'm not home, is that something that I could do potentially?

Thanks in advance, and please let me know if I left out any important info.

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 4
  Hi all,

I'm looking into some source gear that i can have on the go with me. Right now, I use my smartphone (LG G5, google play music player (Subscribed to google play music as well, main reason why I still use it)). I want something dedicated to audio now, rather than using my phone, but I'm not interested in an iPod. I've seen the Fiio devices, they seem pretty nice (x3 and x5 in particular, very nice). I've also seen colorfly and another one that I cannot remember the name of currently.

The problem right now, is that beyond price range, type of music, what I'll use it for, and headphones, I'm not sure what else I need to think about (or provide here) to get a good suggestion. As for that information however:

Headphones - Thinksound TS-02+mic, more sets to come in the future
Music type - A little bit of everything, sorry for vagueness. mainly electronic right now, with some rock/metal.
Price range - not too sure. I'm looking for something decent, so maybe ~$200? not set in stone on this, purchase won't be made for a little bit. I guess I'm looking for a decent starter device into the world of portable hi-fi music?
Use - I'll use it with my headphones in general, but also in the car. Bluetooth isn't a must have, I don't mind using the aux cable. Expandable storage is a must have for me. In terms of other features, I'm not sure.

Fiio X1II

Also, some of these music players have wifi capability, and are based on android. What is the benefit to that, other than trying different music apps?

Streaming music, usually to have music more for casual listening not occupying local storage. You can use a WiFi connection or tether to a smartphone's mobile data.

I've been thinking about setting up a music server to stream some music from when I'm not home, is that something that I could do potentially?

You mean stream music wirelessly from an NAS in your house? Yes, some apps can access a Cloud storage for music streaming.

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 4

Fiio X1II

Streaming music, usually to have music more for casual listening not occupying local storage. You can use a WiFi connection or tether to a smartphone's mobile data.

You mean stream music wirelessly from an NAS in your house? Yes, some apps can access a Cloud storage for music streaming.

I was actually just looking at the X1II, it looks nice. Same with the X5, pricey though (for someone new to this that is)

Ok, I was rather curious about the wifi because I think I would use it sometimes.

I do not currently, although I might do just that. I primarily meant to set it up to stream when I'm outside my house (work, out of town, etc). I can get another SD card, but the larger ones are pretty expensive.

Thank you for your response! Is there any particular reason that you suggested the X1II? Just looking to learn what sets it apart from any other potential units

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 4

I was actually just looking at the X1II, it looks nice. Same with the X5, pricey though (for someone new to this that is)

To the rest of us it seems cheap considering iPods used to go for $300, CDPs with audio circuits comparable to the X5III cost at least $500, and the X5 gen3 running Android, stores more and can do more than the iPod while still going toe to toe with a CDP that can't move from its spot.

In my case in particular the DAPs didn't really appeal to me because they couldn't "dock" like iPods or even my smartphone does (used as a music server with digital output) kept upright on the desk, like not having the DK1 dock before plus the digital output was on top. Add the low voltage output, and they're highly compromised as desktop players. Not the X5III and the X7 before it (although the X7 was very expensive, so I skipped it).

Is there any particular reason that you suggested the X1II? Just looking to learn what sets it apart from any other potential units

It had all the specs you mentioned (as quoted in my post) including BT.

Ok, I was rather curious about the wifi because I think I would use it sometimes.

I do not currently, although I might do just that. I primarily meant to set it up to stream when I'm outside my house (work, out of town, etc). I can get another SD card, but the larger ones are pretty expensive.

You don't need to set up the NAS immediately nor get larger SDcards, just subscribe to Spotify or Tidal. I have Spotify for $3/mo and I have all my casual listening music that I don't want to spend money on for the CDs, or aren't top of my list unless I have enough money to just get everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back