Portable source for KSE1200
Mar 10, 2021 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

agentsim

Member of the Trade. Author of BitPerfect.
I'm looking for recommendations for a portable/transportable source for my KSE1200s. I'm currently using a Mojo, but it is dying (USB connector is gradually being pulled off the circuit board.)

I could just get another Mojo, or a Hugo2. I'm not wedded to Chord, but I don't know of many other high quality portable sources. Given the nature of the KSEs, I'm tending towards detail, detail and more detail in the DAC if there's a choice to be had :)

What would you consider?

Mar 10, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm looking for recommendations for a portable/transportable source for my KSE1200s. I'm currently using a Mojo, but it is dying (USB connector is gradually being pulled off the circuit board.)

I could just get another Mojo, or a Hugo2. I'm not wedded to Chord, but I don't know of many other high quality portable sources. Given the nature of the KSEs, I'm tending towards detail, detail and more detail in the DAC if there's a choice to be had :)

What would you consider?
For me I primarily have a Tera Player inline, but Mojo/Poly gets a run when I want more playback options like streaming via Roon or my NAS while off the home network.

Mar 10, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 9
The Tera Player looks very cool (I love the ladder DAC), but it looks like it is DAP only, no option to play audio over USB?
SD card only and in tagless wav format. I luckily have an older model that was way more reasonably priced than today's version. Quite basic in comparison to other daps, but to be honest that doesn't bother me because of the end result.

Mar 10, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 9
Unfortunately I really want a DAC and not a DAP. The R2R is cool though and has sent me down a rabbit hole of products and companies I'd never heard of. The Luxury & Precision P6 Discrete is a great idea, but again a DAP, so close but not quite :)

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 9
Old thread....but I just picked up a pair of 1200's and I'll say that I find it sounds really good with...wait for it....a Pono Player.

Jan 28, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 9
Old thread....but I just picked up a pair of 1200's and I'll say that I find it sounds really good with...wait for it....a Pono Player.
Other than double amping which is often a non-issue, why wouldn't it? Pono line out is the same a headphone out and why you can switch it to balanced mode with the right cable.

Jan 28, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Other than double amping which is often a non-issue, why wouldn't it? Pono line out is the same a headphone out and why you can switch it to balanced mode with the right cable.

Wasn't referencing the technical side of things (which are excellent) but rather the wide view of performance that seems to exist. Short of it's screen size I think it's an incredible device, particularly for the couple hundred bucks you can find them for now.

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #9 of 9
Wasn't referencing the technical side of things (which are excellent) but rather the wide view of performance that seems to exist. Short of it's screen size I think it's an incredible device, particularly for the couple hundred bucks you can find them for now.
I'm sure it's a fine player. Don't recall it getting much grief about sound quality, more about form factor, output power and storage capability. Should be great for your purpose if storage isn't an issue and on the go, people will think you're very happy to see them. :ksc75smile: Might be nice to have a player with EQ for the KSE. I'm generally not a fan of EQ but I've heard it useful with them. I loved the easy res and speed when I listened to them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back