Portable Source for ER-4P (unamped)
Jun 28, 2008 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

synaesthetic

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm trading in my iPod Nano + Headphonia portable amp rig to attempt and consolidate what I carry around in my pocket. While I am very, very fond with how this combo sounds, I am not fond of how much bulk and tangle I'm carrying around. Not to mention I'm not fond of the Nano's 8gb limit.

So I've already pretty much sold the iPod, so it won't be listed on this site (unless the sale falls through). I'm looking for a replacement that sounds better straight out of the HP jack than the Nano does, something around the same size and that sounds good with the ER-4P. It has to have more native capacity than the Nano does natively, or have some method of expandability.

Currently I'm looking at the Cowon D2 or the 16gb iAudio 7. Both are within what I can spend, but I'm wondering what other options are out there that make good music come out of the Etys and don't cost too much.

I've eliminated the new 16gb Sony as it is a bit too expensive, and I don't like how the Sansa Fuze feels in my hand. But other suggestions are welcome.

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 10
Kenwood players are awesome with the ER4P, especially using the "Rock" eq setting.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 10
Kenwood players? I must look into this.

I'm reading reviews and checking specs left and right and none of the players I've found so far seems to match the bare-bones simplicity and minimalism the iPod USED to give. (The newer ones are a bit cluttered up.)

I really miss my old iPod Mini. I wish there was some way to fix the bass rolloff out of the HP jack, because I don't want to tote around an external headamp anymore.

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my ER4P with my i7. Great tweaking capability and the size is perfect.

How's the operation of the iAudio 7? Sadly Cowon doesn't put their products in brick-and-mortar stores in the US so I can't test-drive one easily. From the pictures it seems like it has a lot of buttons and they look like they're in inconvenient places for one handed operation.

Edit: Wow, that Kenwood 10gb player is pretty sweet looking. Looks to have the minimalism down pat. Shame it's so expensive... ><

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the operation of the iAudio 7? Sadly Cowon doesn't put their products in brick-and-mortar stores in the US so I can't test-drive one easily. From the pictures it seems like it has a lot of buttons and they look like they're in inconvenient places for one handed operation.

Back in November I made some comments about my experience with my (then) new i7 HERE

Most times I'll set the hold feature to on which lets me use the "hard" buttons for track advance and pause.I believe there's the option to change what the hard buttons on top do while in the hold state. While using the i7 like this I can't change the volume but I can do these basic operations by feel...easily one handed operation. At first the i7 felt odd to use but that quickly passed and I'm now a master.
etysmile.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 10
++ on the iAudio 7. I got mine a week or so ago, and I'm loving it!

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for the input guys, I think I know what I'm looking for now.

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input guys, I think I know what I'm looking for now.

Great! Let us know what you buy. Any way you go it should sound sweet using the legendary ER4P
cool.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm trying to find a NW-HD5. =p

If I can't find one, I'm probably going to go with the D2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back