Portable Sound System for College Parties
Dec 17, 2012 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

shakarock

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! Long time lurker here. I hope I'm posting in the right place. 

My google-fu has failed me over the past week and I would appreciate your help with a small problem I'm having.

I'd like to build a somewhat portable sound system to take around to friend's places for college parties. My friends and I have all
put in about 250.00 dollars a piece for a total of a grand. I'd ideally like to spend no more than that, but I have some money from my summer job if necessary. 

We previously used a Bose Companion 5 (It was mine-don't hate me, it was a gift.) However, it died. The new system will be hooked up to a laptop so an external (USB?) sound card might be in order (see below.) The laptop and anything else that needs to will be plugged in so treat it as a desktop without a sound card.

As for the Genres being played.

1. Rock, Blues, Some Rap, Jazz- will be played at home with headphones (I have some Alessandro MS-1s I use for this)

2. Typical College Party Music-Hip Hop, Electronic, Dub step, etc. will be played on the speakers at events.

I have considered the logitech z5500 PC speakers but I am hesitant to buy them. I'd prefer a classic setup with amp and 2 speakers and sub. I'm really looking for something that sounds better than the Bose Companion 5s, as it served us well for a Long time, and the best thing about it is that it was somewhat compact, and easy to throw in a box and drive out to a friend's home with. So something with the same footprint would be nice. Weight is not an issue however-just don't make me pack 100+ pounds of gear every month for one night and repack it in the morning when I'm hungover please. 

This is what I need (or think I need)

A USB DAC. (does USB 3.0 DAC exist?)

2 Speakers that can be transported easily, something like a tower speaker with the footprint of a bookshelf speaker or just slightly larger.

A Sub woofer. My friends (bless them-size is everything to some men) don't care how big this is, I think a 12 inch sub would be best. 

An Amplifier- I know this is where you guys are really good. So full trust in you guys here.

I know this is a lot to ask but I honestly am at wits end. And I know you guys (and girls) deal primarily with head-gear and not this surround sound nonsense. 

Looking forward to your responses and thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back