Portable sightings
Feb 22, 2004 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

mister__big

100+ Head-Fier
Here in Vancouver, most people with portables tend to have PCDPs or (gasp) walkmans circa 1995. However, I've recently seen an influx of iPods as well. Just the other day on the bus, I noticed the person sitting across from me was using a 1G with stock phones. Sheesh. Then I saw another person with what appeared to be a 3G. I was amazed that three (including me) out of the 15 or so people on the bus has an iPod. That's quite an anomaly here!

Care to share which portables you most frequently see in your city/town?

Feb 22, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 47
I was on a plane back to DC from the Super Bowl in Houston this year and I counted 17 people with iPods (13 were G3). At least 8 of those were still using the stock iBuds and 3 poor souls were carrying the Pod in the provided case. Hope they like scratches.

Feb 22, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 47
iPods, iPods, iPods everywhere. I've seen three NJB3s as well, a Creative Nomad MuVo, and a Zen. That's about it. High school kids have no creativity whatsoever.

Feb 22, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 47
Let's see...I know of 5 people who have iPods, one of which may have a Mini...1 of whom rides my bus...and another guy that rides my bus has a Nitrus...but he's also got one of those new Sony psyc cd players...yegh...otherwise...2 other people have MD recorders besides me (and use them...like 10 if non-users).

Feb 22, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 47
I've seen three sharp MDs, a few tiny tape players, and two ipods at various times on the train. None had cases. Only the ipods had visible scratches. I'm kinda surprised that I haven't seen any Sony MDs considering they're the only ones that get sold here..

My MR220 is scratchless, i've almost tried to scratch it but it won't. If you look at an iPod during an eclipse it will disintegrate.

Feb 22, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 47
Well, down here in melbourne Australia, due to the mostly asian population, Sony MD's are the dominant form of Portable music player, followed by all manner of cd players.

Though i have seen 4 ipods (g3) around, my mate got one 2 days ago, 15 gig for 450 ish aus.... i asked him why didnt he get new headphones, and hes like 'but they are awesome'.... ahh the poor ignorant fools...

IIRC i am the only person ive seen with an iHP of some sort..

Trendy's are catching on
rolleyes.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 47
There's nothing wrong with stock earbuds. Koss SportaPro for example sounds much worse and unnatural. I had iPod for close to year and half and had no desire to switch away from stock earbuds. Yes, there's lot of detail missing compared to say HD-580 with a good source but I can forgive loss of detail but can't forgive coloration, which stock earbuds miraculously don't have. Also, iPods are not a rarity here in Vancouver, though they used to be back when I got mine (G2). Still, most people have PCDPs, I'm guessing high end because most of them have LCD remotes.

Feb 22, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #9 of 47
My daily commute here in the San Francisco Bay Area takes me almost from one end of the line to the other on BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit). Surprisingly, I don't see that many iPods....a lot of Sony Psyc CD players, but mostly Walmart no-name PCDP. I have also seen one or two people with MD players/recorders and also some portable cassette players.

Feb 22, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #10 of 47
I can literally watch people pass me by on campus and go "there's an ipod, there's an ipod, there's an ipod, there's an..." Besides that, really crappy, cheap and flashy-looking PCDPs are common. I haven't seen any Minidisc plays besides an asian dude I saw with Eggo D66's.

Feb 22, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by aos
There's nothing wrong with stock earbuds. Koss SportaPro for example sounds much worse and unnatural. I had iPod for close to year and half and had no desire to switch away from stock earbuds. Yes, there's lot of detail missing compared to say HD-580 with a good source but I can forgive loss of detail but can't forgive coloration, which stock earbuds miraculously don't have. Also, iPods are not a rarity here in Vancouver, though they used to be back when I got mine (G2). Still, most people have PCDPs, I'm guessing high end because most of them have LCD remotes.

Yeah, they aren't colored but I wish they had bass
biggrin.gif
Seriously though, I don't mind using my iPod buds or e888's or anything, but I just can't feel or get into the music with them, and when I want to do that and not just have background noise I use my KSC-35's. Then the music is fun
wink.gif
I use Ety's when I know I don't really need to get any studying done because I just sit there in awe of how good the music sounds
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
iPods are like blondes around here
biggrin.gif
Besides them I usually just see wimpy little flash players, and the occational idiot walking arounf holding his PCDP with both hands
biggrin.gif

Tons of those people, yeah...I forgot about cheap flash players. I've seen several of the lower Rio flash models, you know, the bubbly ones that look like little toys.
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #14 of 47
Ipod's are freaking everywhere on my campus, and they all have the stock phones and case. Kinda makes me sick to see these kids walking around with $500 mp3 players, $20 phones, and a $10 case, lol
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back