Portable Rig Dilema
Apr 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

araragikoyomi

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I've been visiting the Head-Fi forums for quite some time now and now I've just registered. I would like to seek some of your advices on deciding what my portable rig should be. Currently, I have an iPod Touch 4th Generation and an iPhone 5. I am planning to use them with a FiiO LOD cable and a FiiO E11 amp. My question is, is it better to have the iPhone 5 + 30-Pin to Lightning Adapter or just the iPod Touch 4th Generation as the source? I will be using Accudio as the music player. Thanks!

Ps. I'm still 16 so buying new gear is a no-no. My current headphone is the HD 598 btw. :)

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 5
Go for the iPod Touch. Using an LOD through the Lightning-30pin adapter means using the DAC within the adapter, which is really subpar compared to the internal DAC of either device.

Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks, I'll use the iPod Touch then. Actually, comparing the sound from the iPod Touch and the Lightning-30 Pin Adapter, I feel that the adapter provides a somewhat larger soundstage and slightly better instrument separation. I wonder if it's all in my head. BTW, a side question - does the iPod Touch use a similar DAC to the iPhone 4? And how would you rate the audio quality of the iPod Touch 4? Pardon me if these questions have already been answered - I did a search of the forum already but all I could find were very mixed and unconclusive opinions. :)

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Thanks, I'll use the iPod Touch then. Actually, comparing the sound from the iPod Touch and the Lightning-30 Pin Adapter, I feel that the adapter provides a somewhat larger soundstage and slightly better instrument separation. I wonder if it's all in my head. BTW, a side question - does the iPod Touch use a similar DAC to the iPhone 4? And how would you rate the audio quality of the iPod Touch 4? Pardon me if these questions have already been answered - I did a search of the forum already but all I could find were very mixed and unconclusive opinions.
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe that the iPod Touch 4 and the iPhone 4 use the same DAC chip-a Cirrus Logic CS41L61. The iPod Touch 4 always struck me as a pretty decent source-sounds pretty good, though I prefer the older iPods with Wolfson DACs.
While the iPod Touch may "officially" sound better, use whatever you want. Head-Fi is all about finding what you like-not finding what other people like or has better specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back