Portable recomendations, I hope to provide some specific info for some very easy answers.
Nov 2, 2011 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

erics75218

New Head-Fier
Well I'm about to buy my first set of real headphones...but OF COURSE, it's a massive problem.

First off let me provide you with my reference song  :)   I've listened to this song for a long time on all sorts of systems, so I really feel like I have an ear for what it sounds like when it's being reproduced in a well balanced manner.

http://youtu.be/tfccXRB926o  Of course the quality of this YouTube clip isn't the best, however maybe you can get it on iTunes or perhaps you already have it already.

Maxwell should be loud and in front, but he shouldn't sound harsh.   To me the best part of this song, is that it has some nice tight bass, and some very sharp highs, all the while you need to hear Maxwell in front, smooth with a verry deffinate brightness and discernable "raspyness" to some of his vocals when he's going full volume.  There are also points of mid bass, that are often lost and hard to find, I think it's just a complex song to reproduce in a pleasing manner as intended.

Ok now that's out of the way....next...

...I've been to only 1 store, but they have Sony/Bose/AudioTechnica/Sure/BEATS/Grado & Sennheiser, I don't know or remember the exact model numbers of every one I tried (Save for the one I like best so far) but they have a nice full range...ALL the Grados for example....obviously not all the Audio Technicas.  I'm trying to stay between 100-150£, they can't be open back (work)...otherwise that's it.

I put on the Grado 60i first, so that I could get a nice reference as everyone on the planet seems to agree, of course they sounded really good and I would have bought those if they were closed.

After trying them, every headhone I tried after that seemed to have to much bass, they all seemed to be designed to increase the bass, as most people like bass. But this song sounds crappy with that much bass.  BEATS are off the list, they sucked.  There was one pair of SHURE that sounded THE BEST, however they were MASSIVE over the ear and I can't do that.

The phones that I listened to that TO ME with THIS SONG sounded best were the Audio Technicas ATH-ES55.  I haven't seen many reviews on them here...but they sounded super warm, the top end was a BIT more muted than on some others, but the response from the mid to the low was, IMO, FANTASTIC.   It was a very obvious different compared to almost all the other bass heavy heaphones.  Maxwell sounded as if he was on stage, instead of in concrete room with me standing in the corner.  I don't know if anyone here has had this experience with these heaphones as compared to others. They just sounded VERY different.

So I guess my question is this....based on that song and the headphones who sound signiture I enjoyed the most, what else is there I should try to get a listen of before I buy. I want this to end my headphone search for a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back