Portable Question
Jan 30, 2008 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Lurid

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking of buying a portable player sometime in the not too distant future, probably after picking up my new Grados. And I was wondering...what would you guys reccomend in the $300 range, for a total setup? The considerations are:

1) Best SQ possible, playing music is the only function I care about

2) Necessity of an amp, smaller = better, therefore a player that works well with IEMs that aren't necessarily amped (or a small affordable amp) would be best for me

3) Moderate space available (10GB would be more than enough)

4) Battery life

I don't really have any brand loyalty, just looking into things to see what you think the best I could do in the range would be. Genre wise I listen to mostly Alternative Rock and Metal.

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 13
I would probably look at a Cowon D2. It is available in an 8gb capacity and has an SD slot so you can add stacks of memory. Battery life is 30 hours plus if playing music off the SD card. Just using the internal memory it is around 50 hours. The SQ is excellent. This would be my first preference.

cheers
Simon

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the recommendations guys ^^ What set of IEMs would you recommend in the $100 or so range?

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 13
2X on the 16 GB Cowon Iaudio 7. VGood SQ + 60hr battery. You shouldn't need an amp with the right IEM's.

Feb 2, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for the suggestions everyones =D I hate to ask, but how do the Zunes stack up to the aformentioned players? I just love the look of the new 8GB and the older 30GB.

Feb 2, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 13
You may regret puchasing a Zune. There seem to be a number of sw issues with it. For pure SQ, I've read the Sony A8xx series is excellent, and if your preference is pure audio, the Cowon D2 wouldn't be as good a choice as the Cowon iaudio 7 (16GB). Personally, I love the Meizu miniplayer (M6 SL), but it's only 8GB max. If I had to do it again, I'd still buy it over anything else.

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob E. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may regret puchasing a Zune. There seem to be a number of sw issues with it.

while the software is not great, it's certainly usable. as long as you only use it for transferring your music, i don't think it would be a problem at all. after the new firmware upgrade, the 30gb zunes are a great deal. they might even support WMA lossless now, though i can't and won't say for sure.

Feb 2, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
while the software is not great, it's certainly usable. as long as you only use it for transferring your music, i don't think it would be a problem at all. after the new firmware upgrade, the 30gb zunes are a great deal. they might even support WMA lossless now, though i can't and won't say for sure.

I have to agree (and stand corrected). The Zune's may be fine machines. I have read very good things about them, but have also noted reports of "minor" sw issues - which are certainly surmountable. I might've bought one myself but I'm not partial to HD based players. FWIW, one of the nice features of the Cowon's and also the Meizu (that I use), is that they're software independant. Though they may have other "issues"
smily_headphones1.gif
I haven't experienced any. (yet)
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after the new firmware upgrade, the 30gb zunes are a great deal. they might even support WMA lossless now, though i can't and won't say for sure.

You are correct. After firmware updates, the 30GB does support WMA lossless.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back