portable + powerful?
Jun 30, 2004 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

phkd

100+ Head-Fier
could anyone please recommend me a decent sounding amplifier that i could buy or build that is also portable? by portable i mean fits-in-a-backpack-and-leaves-space-for-some-other-things. I use a Rio discman and grado SR60s which are soon to be upgraded to MS-2's. As always, any help from the wise ones here will be greatly appreciated.
-AJ

Jun 30, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 20
If you have $400, get the Ray Sammuels SR-71.

Jun 30, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 20
(tonberries are evil!!!!)

The SR-71 is getting a lot of praise and that's what I'd go with, but here are the other options (mostly less expensive)

Total Airhead - $200 (Headroom)
PortaCorda II - $260 (Meier-Audio or TTVJ)
Larocco Audio Pocket Reference - price varies, ~$300 (Larocco)
Superdual - $160 (Xintechs)

The DIY solution that would probably be best for you is the Pimeta.

However, the Larocco PR might be going out of production soon....who knows?

Jun 30, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by refault
If you have $400, get the Ray Sammuels SR-71.

Wouldn't that be too much for something like SR-60 or even MS-2?

Jun 30, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 20
I wouldn't hesitate to use the ms-2 with an sr71. The 60 though is a bit on the light side.

Jul 1, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 20
well thanks very much for the info. It seems like the sr 71 is my best bet here. and i do intend to wait for the ms2's before i buy an amp.

haha and why are you guys going to talk me into upgrading? where is the political pressure coming from? why is this case sending shockwaves through the inner circles of Washington? Who benefits? ... oh sorry i got a little carried away.
thanks again
-AJ

ps Tonberries are the best.

Jul 1, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 20
Well, no one's mentioned it, but I think Norm's Go-Vibe (www.headsave.com) is a great little amp and I prefer it to my Total Airhead. The Go-Vibe lists for $65 but shipping and rechargeable batteries, if you want them, can send the price up to $114 or so. I find the Go-Vibe has plenty of power with my Ipod out of the Sik cable or the regular headphone out with Senn portable phones as well as my Senn 600's (which I really won't be using with this amp but I tried them just for fun). It is a really nice size, fits the footprint of the Ipod almost perfectly, and it's functions and controls are sturdy and easily accessible. I'm sure the SR-71 and Pocket Reference are better since they cost 3-4 times as much, but for $100 the Go-Vibe must be considered. Plus, Norm builds them really fast and shipping from Canada only took 4 days to me in Virginia.
eggosmile.gif

Jul 1, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 20
One nice thing about the SR-71 and I assume the PR (not having heard or tested it) is that you could slip it into a home system without fear that you are loosing something.

Over the weekend I tried the SR-71 coupled with my CD player at home and it was more than up to the task.

Jul 1, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
One nice thing about the SR-71 and I assume the PR (not having heard or tested it) is that you could slip it into a home system without fear that you are loosing something.

Over the weekend I tried the SR-71 coupled with my CD player at home and it was more than up to the task.

What's the estimated battery life for the SR-71?

Jul 1, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
50+ hours i believe

That's what they're listing officially, I think Ray mentioned he had gotten 57 hours with a brand new set of Duracells, but I don't think all 9 volts would last this long so that's why they go with the shorter time...

Jul 1, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
That's what they're listing officially, I think Ray mentioned he had gotten 57 hours with a brand new set of Duracells, but I don't think all 9 volts would last this long so that's why they go with the shorter time...

So I guess I am looking at two sets of 9 volts to burn this little gem in eh?! Time to go to the store...

Jul 1, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #15 of 20
The latest set of batteries got 50+ hours before they did not have enough juice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back