portable players with uncompressed audio
Jan 5, 2007 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

100+ Head-Fier
My Creative JB just packed in. Can any current players utilise lossless audio like wav? I am interested in the sony nwa3000 but have conflicting reports about supported formats. Are there any other options?

Jan 5, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 7
With the use of RockBox you can utilize multiple codec on mutliple DAPS, like the iRiver h1xx, h3xx, various iPods, various archos players. Cowon / iAudio - just about all of their DAPs support mutiple codecs. Most Archos DAPs support wav format as well

Jan 5, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 7
Why use WAV? Why not use FLAC (Cowon iaudio) or ALAC (iPod) these are lossless codecs. They are identical to WAV except they take up around half the space and can maintain tags. They are also much better on battery life

Jan 5, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 7
He was using a Creative Jukebox. They never supported lossless other than WAV.

But yes, FLAC level 8 with Rockbox rocks much booty.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Packgrog

Jan 5, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 7
I'd have to recommend tracking down an iriver H140, putting Rockbox on it, and converting all those WAV files to FLAC. You'll probably want an amp too, though. It helps a lot with improving the sound. Plus, you can upgrade the hard drive in an H140 to 80GB, which would be especially useful for lossless. My meager H120 can only be upgraded to 30GB (there are single-platter 40GB drives that would fit but they're IMPOSSIBLE to find). Rockbox doesn't work quite well enough on iPods yet to beat the H1xx for usability.

Best of luck! And yeah, those old Creative Jukeboxes were fun. You'll be shocked by how much more usable a Rockbox-enabled player is, though.

-Packgrog

Jan 5, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by biovizier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats right - the JB only supported WAV so a have a huge collection.

Well you can always convert the WAV to a lossless format. DBpower amp seems to be a highly recommended converter. Although I prefer to use FLAC frontend. Lossless only has advantages over WAV so I recommend converting.

But anyway my main recommendation would be an iaudio X5 the sound is great from the headphone out. If you plan on using an amp them I recommend the iPod with line out. Those are defaintly the best set up I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back