Portable players that do hiss with low-imped and the ones that dont
Mar 18, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #32 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by st5150
How many ohms is considered low impedence?

I've said this before, and will say it again because it is valid imo...

...It is NOT the impedance that creates the hiss, it is the extreme sensitivity that IEMs offer compared to more 'standard' headphones that creates the hiss...

Case in point, the Shure E5C, impedance is 110ohm (which is relatively high), sensitivity is 122db/mw (very high) and with the 4G and 5G ipod there is constant static / hiss...

...That is eliminated (so long as you don't use over half volume, and even if you do, it is almost muted) with using Apples 'Radio Remote', as this uses an external DAC which tidies things up (and makes the music sound better anyway, so its kind of a no-brainer
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #34 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNoob
checked a 5g ipod with er4p today, no hiss while not playing, res tI couldnt tell if it was the record or not

The 5G iPod does hiss with the ER4P, but just barely. The hiss is so low that it would be deemed non-existent by all but the most anal-retentive (guilty).

I bought the Apple Radio Remote because I read it has better sound quality and reduces hiss. I got mine, plugged it in for 5 minutes and noticed no reduction in hiss (using ER4P and E4c) and was a bit put off by the cord length. Sold it here a few minutes later.

Mar 19, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #35 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNoob
sorry for misphrasing,
btw, is the radio remote really that good?

Apparently YMMV, because I hear a big difference lol

Mar 19, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #36 of 80
I'm suprized no one has noted anything about the X5/L..
With my UE 5EBs the X5L is dead silent where as the H120 is Ssssssssss even at medium volume (say home listneing level). I dont nitice it when I'm on the but or walking down the street where I would have the level higher.

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #41 of 80
There's no noticeable hissing at all with my E2c's (not the most sensitive of IEMs, to be sure) and Rio Carbon, even at max volume.

Apr 12, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #43 of 80
Ipod shuffle - no hiss watsoever
Ipod mini - a bit of hiss
Ipod 4th gen monochrome - a very little bit of hiss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back