portable player with the best bass
Sep 26, 2007 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mmmjays

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a portable player that can produce a lot of good bass. Other features will be considered but BASS is the priority. Please give me suggestions!!

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 16
The Sony 818 has wonderful bass response, and also a custom EQ and the "CLEAR BASS" slider on the EQ is no joke. It adds to the bass response without making things muddy.

I am experienced in audio engineering and to my ear whats happening is some multiband compression focused on the harmonics of the bass frequencies.

A time honored technique that I never expected to see so well implemented on a portable devce. My bass heavy listening material covers from Autechre to Boris to Sunn O)))).

I normally dont like "loudness" gimmicks or EQ's as both tend to intoduce phase problems that degrade the clarity, this does not happen with the Sony unit. What headphones are you using?

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 16
IMHO, TrekStor vibez gives fantastic bass, and can be customized to taste. Its predecessor the Rio Karma is still one of the best ever, with noticably more power behind it.

Sep 26, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 16
iriver H320/40 has best bass output and Cowon A2, Kenwood HD30GB9 are great too.

Sep 26, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 16
Another vote for Sony NWZ-818

The bass on this thing is fantastic - its deep and gritty without being boomy or over powering. I had the Sony NWS706 before with is said to have a better bass than the 8xx but the S700 is boomy and unclear and frankly the bass is not all that deep.

Im a pro musician with 4 degree's in music and trust my ears - the Sony 818 is the best sounding portible out there - I own everything ie iPod, iRiver, Creative etc

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 16
I know iPods aren't really king of the hill in this area, but would the bass sound ok with some MylarOne XBs?

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 16
iPod bass is horrid to say the least - It clips all the time and seems to crumble when the music is very bassy.

No headphone will sort a bad amp in a mp3 player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back