Portable planar
Nov 24, 2018 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

gazzington

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey.
What's the best portable planar out there? I would like one to use at both work and home. At work it will be paired with iPod touch 6 plus fiio q1mk2

Nov 24, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 27
It was those I was mainly thinking of or moebius. However I'm not a gamer so sine is probably better?

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 27
If i opt for closed back headphone in general that is portable and well built and has good sound.
Which of the following are best for most music types. I like an energetic sound with good base and not so much piercing highs.
M50x
M40x
Shure 840
Sennheiser momentum 2 over ear
Urbanites
Hd25
Beyer DT770 pro
Or something else?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 27
If i opt for closed back headphone in general that is portable and well built and has good sound.
Which of the following are best for most music types. I like an energetic sound with good base and not so much piercing highs.
M50x
M40x
Shure 840
Sennheiser momentum 2 over ear
Urbanites
Hd25
Or something else?
I might throw a Meze 99 Classics up onto the top (or near) of your list. Fun signature. Terrific bass. Fun headphone.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 27
I might throw a Meze 99 Classics up onto the top (or near) of your list. Fun signature. Terrific bass. Fun headphone.
I have those and love them but I want something that I don't mind getting scratched etc. My workhorse if you like!

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 27
I have those and love them but I want something that I don't mind getting scratched etc. My workhorse if you like!
Ah--sorry. Missed that. I would maybe go with an M40X (I own it). Fairly well-built and largely neutral and, I think, a step up from the M50X (sort of bloated bass, IMO). Of those you list, that is probably what I would slot for your defined purposes. YMMV, but that is probably what I would do.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 27
Ah--sorry. Missed that. I would maybe go with an M40X (I own it). Fairly well-built and largely neutral and, I think, a step up from the M50X (sort of bloated bass, IMO). Of those you list, that is probably what I would slot for your defined purposes. YMMV, but that is probably what I would do.
Thanks mate. I see you have owned a lot of headphones. What have been your favourites?

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 27
How do hp150 or 151 compare to the ones I mentioned? Sorry to ask so many questions!
Btw hd650 are my favourite so far

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 27
How do hp150 or 151 compare to the ones I mentioned? Sorry to ask so many questions!
Btw hd650 are my favourite so far
No problem! Actually,if you take good care of them, the HP151 has largely addressed the construction defect of the HP150 in my view. Soundwise, I would put them on a par with the K553, maybe a smidge better actually. They do sound better than the M40X, that's for sure. That said, if you are going to be sorta rough with them, then I would probably go with the M40X, myself, just to be extra-safe. I am not rough with my gear, so for me, it has been a non-issue.

Nov 27, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 27
I would maybe go with an M40X (I own it). Fairly well-built and largely neutral and, I think, a step up from the M50X (sort of bloated bass, IMO)
I agreed with this! M40x is a good buy else you can try SRH940 from Shure. The presentation is spacious and very energetic :)

Nov 28, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 27
I like the sound of shure940 but don't they have build problems

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #15 of 27
I'd demo a set of planars if possible before pulling the trigger. I much prefer dynamic drivers. Just my 2 cents
Totally respect that but do not agree I just love the sound of my planars and also dynamics and the only one electrostats I have ( Koss ESP-950’s but have heard many more ) . I love people giving their impressions here but you should say why you didn’t like planars other than I prefer dynamics. Not trying to put you on the spot but they might agree with you and this is help and recommendations thread after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back