Portable phones to replace my KSC-75s
Jun 13, 2006 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AndrewK

New Head-Fier
My Koss KSC75s have just kicked the bucket. Something in the wiring of the 3.5m jack has gone haywire, so I need a replacement. Does anyone have any decent recommendations for a portable phone?

I'm happy to spend a fair bit, but I'm not wearing somethin gigantic like the AD900s on the train. I tried a fair few IEMs a while back and didn't think they compared to the Koss, despite being quite a bit more expensive, but I can be swayed.

Anyone have any ideas? Or should I just replace my KSC-75s.

-Andrew

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 13
Koss has excellent warranty on their headphones. Why don't you try send your headphones to Koss to fix it? Send your headphone with 6.00 check for return.

Otherwies, I recommend Senn PX100. They sound very good.

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 13
I don't think Koss have presence in Australia, i'll talk to the store I bought it from and find out.

I've heard the PX100, but only briefly. Didn't really think they were any better than the Koss, but maybe I needed a longer listen.

-Andrew

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 13
if you don't mind a somewhat bulky connector, you could always cut the broken plug off and solder a new one on
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 13
I'm no good with soldering really. I suppose if the warranty is expired i'd have nothing to lose, but hopefully marcus and headphones.com.au will be able to sort something out.

-Andrew

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 13
I think Koss headphones are under unconditional lifetime warranty.

edit: I checked and it is under lifetime warranty. But I am not sure in Australia

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #8 of 13
Everything you need to know about the Koss warranty can be found here.

In summary: you are covered by the warranty, but you need to hammer out the details with the dealer from which you purchased them in order to find what you need to do in order to take advantage of said warranty.

As mentioned, I don't think you can do better for a sub $50 pair of phones, and you already know that you like them, so try to get them replaced under warranty if possible.

Good luck.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 13
Now people can understand why I bought four pairs when Ratty Shack had their sale.
biggrin.gif
These are the perfect set of beater headphones. They sound incredibly for the price, but I won't cry if I should accidently kill a set, as I have backup and Koss's warranty should I need it. I don't think you're going to find much better for the price, and frankly I think the 75s sound better than my PX100s. Still, the PX100s are certainly more comfortable and sound fairly close to the 75's quality.

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 13
I vote for ksc-35's. Highs are clearer yet less prominent and there is a bit more bass.

Biggie.

Jun 13, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 13
What about the Sporta/Porta Pros? Stay in the Koss family but get a slightly different sound signature. Im thinking about Porta-Pros since Im really digging the KSC 75s.

Jun 13, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 13
porta pros are sweet...

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back