Portable 'Phones: PX100, PX200, PXC150 or PXC250
Jan 27, 2008 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Mansize_tissue

100+ Head-Fier
From my previous thread, I've decided I want a pair of portable cans. I've narrowed it down to the Sennheiser PX100, PX200, PXC150 or PXC250.

This will be used in fairly noisy environments so I thought that the closed Senns would be a better option, however I notice that most people seem to go for the open ones.

I'd like to know which ones are the best for this use. Thank you in advance.

Jan 27, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 23
I have the PXC250 and I find that the Noise Canceling is ineffective and not worth the extra money. If you are in a noisy environment, I would choose the PX200 from the cans you've listed because of its closed design.

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 23
I own both PX100 and PX200 and PX200 gets my vote for sure.

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 23
Thank you for your input so far guys. How come the PX100s seem to be more popular around these parts than the PX200s?

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 23
I voted for the PX100s. I just bought both the PX100 and the PMX200 from Amazon. The PMX200's are the closed, neck band version.

The fit of the PMX200's was terrible (just like every review of them I read - when will I learn?). The neck band is too small for regular sized heads and the 'ear clips' an unnecessary annoyance. The pleather pads on the PMX200s don't get the seal easily that is needed to get these phones sounding good. The PX200's are probably easier to get a good fit but all the reviews I read stated that the sound quality was better on the PX100's.

The PX100's are just great sounding phones. That's why they get better reviews over all. I use them in my work place, which is moderately noisy. I work with two other guys who play music through an mp3 player and small speakers, they are always talking and we have a loudspeaker system that is always going off. If I'm listening to the the PX100's with some medium volumed music I barely notice what's going on around me sonically. If it's a very quiet passage or song then the bleed through is significant. The guys don't hear my music that I'm playing unless it's a loud rock type song that I'm cranking.

If you have a LOT of loud external industrial type noise you need to block out then the PX100's are probably not going to be good for you. I would say do what I did and order both from Amazon and return the ones you don't like. Amazon has impressed me with their return policy - free shipping back. The PX100's were only $33.88 with free shipping when I bought them. They are great sounding headphones. I like the open-ness because my guys can get my attention to ask me a question if they need to but I can still enjoy great music quality in a lightweight, comfortable package. If I need more isolation for softer, trance, folk or electronica music then I pull out the TriPort's.

Good luck.

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 23
My vote goes to the PX200.

I think the PX100 sound better, but there isn't enough isolation to make that worthwhile when taking them portable.

The PX200 barely have enough isolation themselves.

--Chris

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 23
Ack, is head-fi playing its anti-general-consensus card?

Thank you, Methos1979 and hempcamp. I'd like to just buy both and send one back, however I don't think Amazon have the same returns policy in the UK.

Which are more comfortable out of the PX100s and PX200s? I notice the latter have pads which look like normal supra/circum-aural headphone pads, whereas the former just have the flat, foam stuff.

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansize_tissue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which are more comfortable out of the PX100s and PX200s? I notice the latter have pads which look like normal supra/circum-aural headphone pads, whereas the former just have the flat, foam stuff.

I also think the PX100 are more comfortable, and the PX200 sometimes cause pain and tenderness on my ears for long periods of time, yet I still prefer the PX200 on the road due to somewhat better isolation.

(Another annoying thing about both the PX100 and PX200 is that the headband has a lot of microphonics. When the wind is blowing or if you nod your head on the airplane and it rubs up against the seat, it's as if you're listening to a hurricane. Still worth dealing with --- very compact and sturdy when packed away, easy to travel with, and did I mention that they sound great? You may want to wear a hoodie when wearing them in windy environments outdoors so as to cut down on the noise.)

--Chris

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansize_tissue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which are more comfortable out of the PX100s and PX200s?

I have not tried the PX200s but the PX100 rests lightly on my ears with just enough clamping force to hold them in place. My only complaint regarding fit is they are so comfortable I often forget I'm wearing them.
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 23
I love my PX100's. Un-amped, they are my favorite cans. I sold the first pair I bought but quickly ran out & bought a replacement pair because I missed them so much (did the same thing w/SR60's, as well!)

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 23
I've got some PX200s and I think they're rubbish.
They have virtually no bass. They are well made and comfortable with some isolation but I was massively disappointed with their lack of bass.
I think I'm going to get some AKG K518 DJ to use as my portable cans and maybe give the PX200s away to a needy cause.

Just to qualify my statement above - I now have some Dt770s and find their bass fine, so I guess that makes me a bass junkie!

Jan 27, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 23
I have a pair of DT 770 Pros for home use and, being used to the bass on these, I guess I'll probably find the bass on the PX200s a little... lacking, too. Does this mean the bass will be lacking even more so with the PX100s?

Jan 27, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 23
The PX200s simply sound bad. The PX100s by contrast are one of the better cheap headphones. They certainly don't lack bass and their lack of isolation is not a great problem, unless you are in very quiet or very noisy environments.

Jan 27, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 23
By the way the PX250s sound even worse than the 200s - without the noise canceling on they are effectively the same headphone, but turn it on and you end up with a bassless, gutted sounding mess, that doesn't even work that well at canceling out airplane noise (where I used to use them before selling them).

Jan 27, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 23
I have owned the 200, pmx100 and px100. The 100 have it all over the 200 for bass. I only use them at home so can't vouch for noisy enviornments...use iem's when I cut the grass. For the price you can't beat PX100's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back